PDA

View Full Version : Reinstall Ubuntu with KDE

kjaada
20-10-2006, 03:10 PM
I have a new HDD and now want to reinstall Ubuntu 6.06 on to it but I would prefer the KDE desktop rather than Gnome.Is it possible to do this from install?

beama
20-10-2006, 03:47 PM
you need kubuntu (http://www.kubuntu.org) kde version ubuntu

kjaada
20-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Ithought that was what I had.My splash says Kubuntu and the disk I got said it was on there but I do not think I was given a choice.I will leave it now until I try the reinstall.Thanks

Graham L
20-10-2006, 04:16 PM
I haven't been bothered with the latest and best new releases, but both KDE and Gnome always used to have a menu option to switch between the two, or even select other GUIs. I assume they still have this. I'd be inclined to do it immediately after an installation, before doing any other customisation. Just in case: of course everything works perfectly. :D

beama
21-10-2006, 07:50 AM
KDE and Gnome always used to have a menu option to switch between the two

True for some distro's Graham, But Ubuntu is Gnome and Kubuntu is Kde. There are other strains of Ubuntu as well, Edubuntu, educational software allows teacher to control client machines within a pod, and another version (Xubuntu) for lower spec machines.

All based on Debain if remember correctly

kjaada
21-10-2006, 09:47 AM
I thought kubuntu was KDE too untill I found KDE core was not installed.It is now
but the desktop is still the same and I have an app that requires the KDE desktop.

Jen
21-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Where did you get your Kubuntu disk from? Sounds like it was mislabelled. Kubuntu only comes with KDE. Was it some developer KDE package that you were missing?

kjaada
21-10-2006, 06:06 PM
It came with an English Linux Format magazine and I think when I reinstall I will have the option to install Ubuntu,Kubuntu or Xubuntu and I must have missed That when installing previously..I am now using the Beta Kubuntu.10.