PDA

View Full Version : Bit Torrent

jcr1
20-10-2006, 01:37 PM
I've been playing around with vmware lately and a lot of the virtual appliances are downloaded via bit torrent, which I don't have.
There are a few hoops to jump through to set it up and some give the impression there might be some security implications.
Is it a safe thing to do?

gum digger
20-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Yes
If you download legal stuff.

jcr1
20-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Yes
If you download legal stuff.

I only want to download and try virtual appliances from the vmware site; I guess that's about as legal as it gets:)
No, my worry was that I have to open ports that are at present closed and jig around with my router and possibly firewall. Just a bit dubious about that.
Just had an idea; what if I was to install vmware player on a virtual computer and then do the bit torrent thing. Might try that:confused:

The_End_Of_Reality
20-10-2006, 07:16 PM
uTorrent is the best app I have come accross.

You don't NEED to open the ports, but it is best to, ATM mine are not open... but it still works, just not as fast as it could be.

As for running it on a virtual machine, it should work but I have bot tried it

jcr1
20-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks David.
I'm trying Bit Torrent at the moment, but I'll give your recommendation a go as well.
Decided against trying it off a virtual machine, for now anyway.

TGoddard
21-10-2006, 01:17 AM
You really need to punch a single port hole in your firewall if you want to use bittorrent. I also believe many ISPs use port shaping to slow bittorrent quite severely. On Xtra I have a lower download speed than upload speed even if actively connected to dozens of peers out of a pool of hundreds :annoyed: . The service should be able to easily max out a normal connection with that many other people - it's obvious that it's being shaped for downloading.