PDA

View Full Version : Setting up text communication between two computers

barryk
20-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Is there software/hardware available to help me set up text chatting communication between two computers in the same room? :help:

I know there is network chat software that lets a network system administrator communicate with an user over an office network. But is there equivalent software/hardware for a set of just two computers i.e. no formal office network.

One of the computers uses Windows XP and it's a Dell laptop. I think the other computer is a Windows system as well.

Please feel free to discuss this topic :cool:

Greg
20-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Hmmm. Real Life Voice seems to come to mind.

But then if you're both mute and/or deaf, ICQ (http://www.icq.com/) might do it.

beama
20-10-2006, 03:50 PM
well you could setup vpn :lol:
personally I like Greg's idea

tweak'e
20-10-2006, 03:57 PM
firstly how are the 2 pc's connected?

windows has a basic app built into most vers (winpop??? i can't rember the name).

icq etc wil work over a lan but requires net connection to be on both. i think there are a few small chat apps that work over tcp/ip lans.

Graham L
20-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Text communication between people in the same room. :groan:

Oh dear. What happened to human speech"? You know, wobbling various bits of your mouth causes sounds which vibrate bits in the ears of the other person. I know it's terribly old fashioned (non-)technology, and Microsoft aren't producing a new version of it every few years, but when people "need" computers to communicate with people they can see ... words fail me. ;)

P.S. After re-reading the thread title, is what is required "communication between computers", with no human interaction? I suppose this might be more "efficient" ... humans have been obsolete for years now, and they are totally redundant now Vista is coming.

FoxyMX
20-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Man you're a cynic, Graham. :D

How do you know how large the room is? It could be the size of our town hall for all we know. :p

windows has a basic app built into most vers (winpop??? i can't rember the name).
IIRC Winpop (or whatever it is) requires Windows Messenger and enabling that creates hassles not really worth having if the PCs are on the internet, unfortunately. :(

I just use VNC, open the other PC's Notepad and type my demands in that. :D

stu161204
20-10-2006, 07:55 PM
IIRC Winpop (or whatever it is) requires Windows Messenger and enabling that creates hassles not really worth having if the PCs are on the internet, unfortunately. :(

I dont think Winpop is in xp

developer
21-10-2006, 10:18 AM
You may consider the NET SEND command.

Rob99
21-10-2006, 02:12 PM
http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/network/fwnetworkmessage.html

I have used Net Send, works well, it works on the windows messenger service.

Trillian is what I use now, caters for many other networks eg. MSN, Yahoo, IRC, ICQ, AIM ... also can chat internally.

MSN will also chat internally without a connection.

FoxyMX
21-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Ah... Netsend is the one I was thinking of, not Winpop. :rolleyes:

No feedback yet from barryk as to what might be suitable for his purposes...

barryk
25-10-2006, 09:44 AM
From what I can work out from the replies to this thread, it seems that there are several programs available for internal use - Netsend, Trillian, MSN, Yahoo, IRC, ICQ, AIM, VNC, VPN. :nerd:

I'm assuming the other person's office does not have an internal network. I know that she does have a computer that connects to the Net because we've exchanged e-mails.

I think there are two possible routes for the text communication - a direct cable connection between the two computers, and via the Internet.

If the setup uses a direct cable connection like an USB cable or a null modem cable, can Netsend, Trillian etc work on this?

I'm pretty sure MSN, Yahoo, ICQ will work via the Net.

Can setup diagrams be posted into this thread or not? :confused:

Greg
25-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Can setup diagrams be posted into this thread or not? :confused:You can post diagram images to a remote site and link to them from here. www.imagef1.net.nz was kindly created by a member for just this purpose.

barryk
25-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Real Life Voice (RLV) isn't the only way to communicate in the same room - there's morse code, light signals, hieryglypics, pictures and so on.... :cool:

Greg
25-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Real Life Voice (RLV) isn't the only way to communicate in the same room - there's morse code, light signals, hieryglypics, pictures and so on.... :cool:And best of all, if the other fella is flaming you you can walk across the room and punch the *ukka in the mouth! :D

barryk
25-10-2006, 09:58 AM
You can post diagram images to a remote site and link to them from here. www.imagef1.net.nz was kindly created by a member for just this purpose.

That's a clever website! I've just seen it.

heni72847
25-10-2006, 10:13 AM
i think ultr@vnc has a chat function if you need it
it was handy to copy like..url and stuff..hard to read and re-retype sorta things that you don't wanna shout acros the room

TGoddard
25-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Why not just use something like IRC? There are plenty of free IRC servers out there. There's a reason why authors of many kinds of malware use IRC to deliver commands to their botnets - it's a really simple system.

barryk
25-10-2006, 11:12 AM
i think ultr@vnc has a chat function if you need it
it was handy to copy like..url and stuff..hard to read and re-retype sorta things that you don't wanna shout acros the room

Can you explain what ultr@vnc is? Does Windows XP have this?

heni72847
26-10-2006, 08:31 AM
ultravnc is just vnc with some extra functions such as chat and file transfer on top of it's remote screen acess thingy

vnc or ultravnc doesn't come with xp
you have to install it yourself
it's free and open source
http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

if you go to the site it tells you a lot of stuff so yea..

but all you basically do is
have a comp running as server the other as client
then make the connection
one bad thing i can think of is um..
it's chat function won't be exactly like those msn chat window sorta things
from what i remember anyway..