PDA

View Full Version : What the...bandwidth problems..

jesse_jax
19-10-2006, 08:51 PM
ok so ive had to go real real easy on my downloading this month as ive been forced to change plans.., ive downloaded 700mb of video, THATS IT, and a 350mb demo.

i am at 14, yes FOURTEEN GB'S!

W T F! all ive been doing is playing bf2, css, going on youtube now and then, and visiting forums, *** IS THIS, 14 GB'S?

seriously, is it possible orcon is adding on data that i never used, or that someone else is using my internet? cause theres no way ive used 14gb's..

can someone explain, does any of those applications actually use THAT much bandwidth? i play bf2 maybe 1-3 hours a day, and css(which downloads at like 7kbps so thats **** all) about 1-3 hours a day.. and youtube about an hour or 2..

so yeah, an explanation would be VERY gratful on why ive hit 14gb's this month would be great.

Fishy
19-10-2006, 09:03 PM
If it's wireless someone may be nicking it...
And i'm pretty sure CSS only downloads at 7kbps when your dead and most other people in the server are too. I think, not completely sure. BF2 will use internet and when I play CS 1.6 for an hour it uses around 100mb and BF2 has way better graphics so i'm guessing it will need more data sent back and forth?
And depending on the length and quality of the youtube videos who knows...
But I doubt they have added usage on that hasn't been used.
Also check theres no P2P programs open and people aren't downloading off you, cos that happened to my mate and that's how he blew his cap super fast.

byte
19-10-2006, 09:11 PM
You might be infected with botnet software and someone is using your computer to scan for other vulnerable systems or launching ddos attacks :\

jesse_jax
19-10-2006, 09:13 PM
na i dont use p2p its for nubs..

also with css, i know it doesnt use much bandwidth cause when you go in console and type net_graph 3 it shows you how much is going in and out and all up its about 10kbps(including upping)...

i dont have wireless either. as for virus's...yeah possibly but it wouldnt use THAT much bandwidth and id be having major lag in games as they use uploading...virus's that scan would also use uploading and my max is bout 16kbps so they couldnt use that much bandwidth anyway(and i know i dont have one as i dont get any lag and zone alarm isnt showing anything upload constantly..)

george12
19-10-2006, 10:37 PM
BF2 = 36mb per hour * 2.5 hrs per day = 90mb per day = 2.7GB per month

CSS = 36MB per hour @ 2.5 hrs per day = 90mb per day = 2.7GB per month

Usage you mentioned in the post (movies and stuff) = 1.05GB

Youtube - 220Kbps * 1.5 Hrs a day = 4.45GB a month

Total 8.9GB, plus your surfing and things you forgot about. So it seems vaguely possible that you used 14GB...

jesse_jax
19-10-2006, 11:55 PM
''vaguely possible''

lol...i said 1-3 hrsa day, generally not 3 hrs, more like an hr or a bit over, but SOME days i do play 3 hrs.. so yeah bf2 and css would more be around 3-4 gb's all up..

plus a gb for teh stuff i downloaded...somethings not adding up..

are you guys SURE its not possible for other people to log in with my 10.1.1.1 acc and use my bandwidth? cause im 99% sure i havnt used NEALLY 14gb, lucky if ive actually broken the 10gb mark..

roddy_boy
20-10-2006, 12:09 AM
got family/flatmates?

jesse_jax
20-10-2006, 02:31 AM
no, im the only one who uses this computer and theres only one phone jack in the house and only one computer, which is mine..

pctek
20-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Scan for malware, its not just viruses.
And yes, if its wireless make it secure.

Mike
21-10-2006, 12:08 AM
''vaguely possible''

lol...i said 1-3 hrsa day, generally not 3 hrs, more like an hr or a bit over, but SOME days i do play 3 hrs.. so yeah bf2 and css would more be around 3-4 gb's all up..

plus a gb for teh stuff i downloaded...somethings not adding up..

are you guys SURE its not possible for other people to log in with my 10.1.1.1 acc and use my bandwidth? cause im 99% sure i havnt used NEALLY 14gb, lucky if ive actually broken the 10gb mark..Don't forget - you seem to be adding up only what you download. ISPs count data in both directions towards your data cap, so while you think you haven't downloaded much, you may have sent a fair bit in the other direction.

Mike.

jesse_jax
21-10-2006, 12:09 AM
yes, i have uploaded, in total, neally 1gb.

Mike
21-10-2006, 12:16 AM
yes, i have uploaded, in total, neally 1gb.What do you use to monitor what you've uploaded? My ISP only tells me the total data movement, it doesn't split it between uploads and downloads.

Mike.

jesse_jax
21-10-2006, 02:00 AM
orcon tells you on your usage meter, how much youve downloaded and how much youve uploaded.