PDA

View Full Version : A dollar to anyone who can solve this!!!

borax
19-10-2006, 03:45 PM
I am working on a HP Pavilion 8904 with WIndows XP installed. It had a major virus issue which tried to resolve. I got rid of all the viruses but windows was doing some weird things, like Firewall not starting, BSOD when trying to install anything, McAffee anti-virus not starting etc etc. At this point i tried a system restore but no points had been made. The PC in question as an HP recovery partition which i ran. Now when it restarts it wont go into Windows at all, it just hangs. When i try to boot into Safe Mode it gets as far as Windows/System32/Drivers/agp440.sys and hangs.
So i read Microsoft KB and they suggest putting the original XP disk in, go to recovery console and disable agp440. Well i put the disk in restarted and the PC doesnt want to boot from CD. Its not just this CD either, its any bootable CD. I've made sure the boot order is correct in BIOS but it still wont do it. I have reset the BIOS, this has made no difference!!!

Any ideas? Im all out of them

cheers

Pete O'Neil
19-10-2006, 03:51 PM
It seems a lil unusual that both the HDD and CD-ROM and having problems, are they on the same channel? Have you checked the IDE cable?

borax
19-10-2006, 03:56 PM
They're on different channels and cable is fine

pcuser42
19-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Does the hard drive work fine in another computer? Also will the same CD drive let you boot from a CD in another computer?

DeSade
19-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Try starting the machine with a win98 boot disc and choose cd rom support
that should get around your cd boot problems

if you have a floppy drive on the machine that is

If you need the boot disc files

http://www.meh.co.nz/files/boot.zip

borax
19-10-2006, 04:36 PM
OK, so i have tried a new, working CD drive and still the same problem!!!
Unfortunatley it does not have a working floppy drive.

borax
19-10-2006, 04:43 PM
I haven't tried the HD on another PC yet, im pretty sure its OK, it was working fine (as was the cd) right upto the point i ran the HP recovery programme

Graham L
19-10-2006, 05:03 PM
If you have just "rebooted", try turning the power off, then start from cold.

That power switch is there for a purpose. It does a proper reset. :D

borax
19-10-2006, 05:15 PM
A complete power cycle is the only way i can reboot it, so it gets the power yanked each time

Greg
19-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Tried replacing the MBR?

SolMiester
19-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Reset the BIOS, you may have had memory TSR's, load system defaults also.

borax
19-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Tried replacing the MBR?

No, how would i go about doing that???

borax
19-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Reset the BIOS, you may have had memory TSR's, load system defaults also.

I have already reset the BIOS, what's TSRs?

pctek
20-10-2006, 07:15 AM
No, how would i go about doing that???

fdisk /mbr from a bootable dos disk

Robby
20-10-2006, 08:45 AM
gidday, wondering which option you used when using recovery partition,,

close the computer, and on start, tap F10, this should give you the option to format and recover, or go back to last known good configuration.

good luck,

Robby

Tukapa
20-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Where are all those people now that suggested I rid myself of the floppy drive in my new computer specs? Huh, huh!! Come out wherever you are!!!!!

Sorry - not much help to solve your problem. Good luck!!

Pancake
20-10-2006, 01:28 PM
It may be a USB problem.Run this patch:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822603

kjaada
20-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Have you tried a LIVE linux CD like Knoppix ?This is what linux is good at.

Graham L
20-10-2006, 02:43 PM
From the start:

After the power has been off (at the wall) for a while (not a second or too, give it time to completely forget everything in RAM), start it up.

Does the POST run normally?

Does it find all disks?

Does it give any error messages? If so, what are they?

Does the CD light come on when you'd expect the computer to try t boot from a CD? Does it complain about the CD ( no OS on device ... etc)?

What are you people talking about?

Fixing the MBR might help it to boot Windows (although it is getting into the Windows loader, and failing some way into the boot process) ; but a CD boot never sees that MBR on the normal boot hard disk.

TSRs are installed by an OS, after it has booted. During a boot, the only code running is the BIOS bootstrap, any BIOS extensions on device ROMs, then the loader installed from the selected boot device.

You can't boot a live Linux CD if the BIOS refuses to boot from a CD.

USB patches? It's failing to boot from a CD. USB drivers are needed when a USB device is present and the OS needs to access it. "Patches" patch code on disk, they do nothing until that code is loaded into RAM. That patch has nothing at all to do with problems in the boot process. :groan:

borax
22-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi guys,

thanks a lot for all the help (partciculary to Robby). I resolved the issue by hitting F10 on boot, this put me into the HP system recovery programme. This was the one i ran originally through Windows. So i ran the programme again and it restored Windows and i was able to boot up OK. However Windows now suffers some real problems, Firewall not working, software wont install, McAffee has become corrupt etc etc. SO after all the ar5eing around with it i am now going to have to reinstall Windows from the HP disks.

thanks again for all the help :) :D