PDA

View Full Version : FASTPCI-4036?

SurferJoe46
18-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Got this Serial Ultra Power Series thing-y too in the yard sale..for free...what's it for?

http://www.dolphinfast.com/products/4036a.html :stare:

Jams
18-10-2006, 01:49 PM
it adds serial ports to your PC, such as old serial modems and the likes.

SurferJoe46
18-10-2006, 02:32 PM

I was possibly thinking it might allow external harddrives if they were serial....

Is this possibly used as a network device too?...I mean, can it connect two pc's thru a cable?

Why else have serial ports available outside the tower?

CYaBro
18-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Mice of old connected to those serial plugs.
You can (or could) get a null modem serial cable to connect two machines together making a very slow network.
My mates and I used to use one of these cables to play Doom against each other.
A lot of external devices like modems, a few years ago, all used to connect to serial plugs but most have now moved to USB.

Jams
18-10-2006, 03:48 PM
I was possibly thinking it might allow external harddrives if they were serial....

Is this possibly used as a network device too?...I mean, can it connect two pc's thru a cable?

Why else have serial ports available outside the tower?

Pete O'Neil
18-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Joe those serial ports that card provides are similar in nature to USB ports. As mentioned earlier the most common peripherals to use it were mice and modems. Ive still got an old external US Robotics 56k modem sitting in my desk that uses it, just incase my DSL should one day die.

It is possible to connect 2 PC's together using it but the speed is very slow, I cant remember the actaul speed but it was definately less than 1Mbit. It was through this technology that some of the first multiplayer games were played.

You got it for free and thats all its worth really. Two cheap NICs and a crossover cable over better network performance, and the USB bus offers a better solution for external harddrives. Modern motherboards should have both intergrated.