PDA

View Full Version : Firmware Upgrade - DSL-502T

bk T
17-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Has anyone successfully upgraded the Firmware of this D-link single port ADSL Router (the one supplied by Telecom)? I downloaded the Firmware file (DSL-502T_V3.00B02.NZ.20060710.exe) from their site and followed their instructions very closely to upgrade this firmware, but the process stopped halfway through with an error message (can't remember what it was) and that's the end of this 'free' ADSL router! Tried the recovery procedures supplied by them but still could not revive the poor thing!!!:D

Fortunately, Telecom is kind enough to replace the unit within 2 days.

Cheers

Pete O'Neil
17-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Last time I upgraded the firmware on my router (not a DLS-502T sorry) I was forced to return all the setting back to default before it was successful. Took me a long time to figure out that was the problem, had me a bit for a lil while hoping i hadnt fryed my new router.

drcspy
17-10-2006, 02:52 PM
suprised that telecom replaced it after all was it broken in the first place or did you 'break' it by trying a firmware upgrade ?......what were you trying to achieve with that ?.............good thing to remember: if it ain't broke DON'T fix it

Graham L
17-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Telecom Xtra recommended this upgrade, and provided the instructions. I helped a friend do the upgrade. The upgrade worked, but it didn't fix the problem ... the ADSL connection still drops out frequently. However, the same modem used on a Mac iBook works without dropping the connection. ;)

SolMiester
17-10-2006, 05:08 PM
I tried too, however with the original 302T unit that Telecom supplied, however even with the manufacturers firmware,it turned the unit into a brick. I wanted to use it with the 'Telecom Radius' service we use @ work, for secure remote access, but the units didnt like to play with RDP clients.

Anyway, the upshot of it all is, that Telecom may use bespoke firmware to use with thier software for customer self installs. Why an upgrade didnt overwrite maybe due to some crippling of components by d-link/telecom for cheap router units which telecom can then give away?:confused:

TGoddard
17-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Never attempt to replace the firmware on a Telecom-crippled router. You were lucky they replaced it - when I bricked my old 302T the same way they refused to do so. Technically they have no obligation to replace it at all - unless their support people tell you to do so it isn't covered by the warantee.

Fishy
17-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Telecom routers don't support generic updates. Only use ones from xtra.co.nz or it f*cks up the router/modem...

bk T
17-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Never attempt to replace the firmware on a Telecom-crippled router. ....... it isn't covered by the warantee.

If it is not convered by the warrantee, then why on earth they recommend us to upgrade the firmware, especially when their 'Firmware' doesn't work - not only doesn't work but it 'kills'. I don't understand the logic behind this. If they have no confidence in their own product why recommend to their customers? On purpose or what?

muzzle
18-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Telecom routers don't support generic updates. Only use ones from xtra.co.nz or it f*cks up the router/modem...

Not true. I upgraded mine succesfully the day it arrived in the post. Otherwise the dyndns would not work, as the firmware that came on it was bung.

When updating your firmware be sure to follow instructions. The router must be reset to its out of box configurationg first - Just hold the reset button and voila your router is fixed.

You must use the New Zealand firmware from the dlink site :
http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/Download/download.aspx?product=DSL-502T_NZ&revision=REV_A&filetype=Firmware