PDA

View Full Version : WinMx

B.M.
16-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Can anyone help me get WinMx running on XL & 256kbs Broadband?

Iíve got it going no problems on WinME & Dial-Up but no way on XL & BB.

Iíve tried turning the Firewall off but that didnít solve the problem.

In fact, I must have tried a dozen things but no joy. :( :help:

stu161204
16-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Whats WinMX?

B.M.
16-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Music Download programme Stu. ;)

pcuser42
16-10-2006, 03:05 PM
One answer: ditch Windows Mistake Edition and get XP.

Ferg
16-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Have you used the WinMX PIE Patch? There were some issues about servers , this has been overcome by using the PIE patch, that writes to your hosts file.

If you can get it running, but not seem to connect, this should solve the problem.

A google on MXPIE Patch Winmx should find a site.

Mines running fine on XP , with Zone Alarm

B.M.
16-10-2006, 03:38 PM
One answer: ditch Windows Mistake Edition and get XP.

:rolleyes: The ME is fine, it's the XP that has issues.:lol:

Yes Ferg, done that patch.

I think it has to be an issue with ports and this DSL Modem/Router.

Although, this Website & Mail work fine. As I said initially turning off the firewall had no effect.

Also the site is definately going because I can hook on no problem from the old computer. :confused:

Ferg
16-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Have you forwarded the port on your router.

heres (http://www.portforward.com/cportsnotes/winmx/winmx.htm) a link that I succesfully used

B.M.
16-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks for that link Ferg.

Unfortunately, everything seemed to be set correctly and they wanted A$34 to use their programme to update the router. Hmmmm surly thereís a better way given there were no guarantees.

Anyway, seeing this is a brand new router supplied by Xtra I thought I would ask them.

Well, after a half hour wait I got hold of some Richard fellow who told me Xtra didnít support WinMx I should get Limewire! I protested WinMx works fine on my Dial-Up connection so why not Broadband? He didnít know and wasnít interested. :mad:

So my questions now are:

1: Does anybody out there have WinMx working on Xtra Broadband?

2: Can someone enlighten me further on this updating and forwarding of ports?

I think that may well be where the problem lies?????????? :confused:

B.M.
16-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Stand at ease, all fixed. :D

All I had to do was change the computers address to 192.168.0.1. :blush:

Would have thought the useless sod at Xtra would have been on to that. :mad:
Probably a product of tomorrows schools! :xmouth:

Ferg
16-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Glad you got it sorted. In case of future port issues, that site does give really good port forwarding guides specific to most routers and programs.

You just have to ignore the "Click here for automatic port forwarding" banner.

I don't know if you followed the links right through, in case you missed it, here's (http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DSL-302G/WinMX.htm) where you should finally end if you've got the D-Link302G.

Look for you on WinMX, try and share some Kiwi songs, they are hard to come by!

B.M.
17-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Thanks for your help Ferg.

Yes I followed that link some of the way but couldnít find a D-Link DSL-502T mentioned.
My guess is itís another model repackaged for Xtra and/or Dick Smith Limited (DSL)

Anyway, the whole Xtra experience leaves a hell of a lot to be desired. :groan:

Moving right along, youíre dead right about NZ artists being thin on the site. I donít think Iíve found one yet. Iíve looked for just about all the old 50ís 60ís & 70ís without luck. Iíll have another look when I get this ďbitsaĒ Iíve built up and running full time. :D