PDA

View Full Version : About to purchase - please check my specs

Tukapa
16-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi all

I know there are posts like this all the time but I am about to purchase this (really - not just a pipe dream like half of the similar posts here). I am just wanting the knowledgable ones here to give me their opinion, any suggestions for change or any dogs of hardware thrown in here.

Pedalslammer - I couldn't give two hoots about the Intel quadcore, depreciation or any other nasties, perceived or otherwise, around the corner. I am wanting to purchase now.

Here are the specs:

Asus M2V motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU
Geil 1GB DDR2 800 Ram (2 x 512MB)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA HDD
Asus DRW-1608P3S DVD Writer
XFX GeForce 7600GT 256MB PCI Express Video Card
Raidmax RX-9 SE case with 520W PSU
Hauppauge WinTVR-PVR-150 MCE PCI TV card
CMV 938DS WXGA 5ms 19" widescreen LCD monitor
1.44MB Floppy Drive
Microsoft multimedia keyboard and optical mouse
Logitech X-230 2.1 speaker system
Microsoft Media Center 2005 OS with remote control

That's about it.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Cheers all.

Pete O'Neil
16-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Whats it being used for? Im guessing a media pc? You could probably save a few dollars and forget about the floppy drive.

If you intend to game consider upgrading the video card to a 7950GT and change the CPU to a Core 2 Duo. Otherwise everything looks pretty good.

The_End_Of_Reality
16-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Specs look good, will be powerful :)

Everything looks good, the one gripe I have is the PSU, but be warned I like top quality :thumbs: I know it comes with the case, it has pleanty of power in it, but I just don't trust low quality for a PSU, the case I have came with a PSU, but I brought an Enermax as they are top quality, there is one thing you don't want... and that is the PSU to fry everything :badpc:

Don't underestemate the Floppy drive, I ended up taking this one out of my dead PC because it was surprising how much I needed it... flashing the BIOS, RAID drivers are two resons that you need a Floppy drive that come to mind instantly.

Hauppauge cards can be a little hard to install (software), but when you find the trick it is fine and these cards are great.

Those speakers will pound, I have the big brother to them (X-530) and these are amazing, best speakers I have ever used and the price! so cheap for what they are!

Everything looks like it is compatible and will work :)

pctek
16-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Looks fine.
Not keen on the monitor brand.
If for gaming I'd bump up the graphics card a bit too but otherwise - go ahead, just make sure its a reputable retailer.

Tukapa
16-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks all

The only gaming that is expected to be done on it is Microsoft Flight and Train simulators.

I did think about going to a 7900GT but was dubious if it would give an increase in performance equal to twice the 7600GT (considering it is twice as expensive to buy).

As for the floppy drive - I originally built my own machine and did not install a floppy. Then I found myself wishing I had spent the extra $13 because I found several instances where I needed a floppy drive and I have since chucked one in.

As an aside - what brand of monitor would you consider.

This machine is for a friend of mine who went to Harvey Normans to look at their product and got a price for a system pretty similar to this. It had a 3Ghz Pentium D processor, 2GB Ram and a 6600 video card. They quoted $3199 and that did not include a monitor or speakers!!!!:eek:

I have sourced the above for $2400 built up including freight so I think they are on the winning side!!!

Cheers all.

Myth
16-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Hi all

I know there are posts like this all the time but I am about to purchase this (really - not just a pipe dream like half of the similar posts here). I am just wanting the knowledgable ones here to give me their opinion, any suggestions for change or any dogs of hardware thrown in here.

Pedalslammer - I couldn't give two hoots about the Intel quadcore, depreciation or any other nasties, perceived or otherwise, around the corner. I am wanting to purchase now.

Here are the specs:

Asus M2V motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU
Geil 1GB DDR2 800 Ram (2 x 512MB)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA HDD
Asus DRW-1608P3S DVD Writer
XFX GeForce 7600GT 256MB PCI Express Video Card
Raidmax RX-9 SE case with 520W PSU
Hauppauge WinTVR-PVR-150 MCE PCI TV card
CMV 938DS WXGA 5ms 19" widescreen LCD monitor
1.44MB Floppy Drive
Microsoft multimedia keyboard and optical mouse
Logitech X-230 2.1 speaker system
Microsoft Media Center 2005 OS with remote control

That's about it.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Cheers all.Yeah, nice specced computer.
Just one thing.... when they ask for a delivery address, you know where I live :p

Tukapa
16-10-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm a charitable bugger Tazz but not that charitable!!:thumbs:

Tukapa
16-10-2006, 03:00 PM
As an aside - what about the Viewsonic VA1912W monitor instead? Is this a better option than the CMV or would AOC be better?

Cheers.

Pete O'Neil
16-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I like Philips and Samsung LCD's personally, but ive heard good things about Viewsonic, wouldnt buy one as i think asthetically they look like ass.

Myth
16-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Dunno about the LCDs but the Viewsonic CRTs are very good (practical experience). Have heard good things about the LCD's though.

Speedy Gonzales
16-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Nothing wrong with CMV or DSE LCD's for that matter lol.

Who cares who makes it, just as long as it goes.

They all look the same to me.

AOC and Viewsonic CRT monitors are OK. I've got one of each looking at each other in the wardrobe :lol:

Twelvevolts
16-10-2006, 07:49 PM
I get an Intel Core Duo instead - very impressed with the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz humming along in this machine.

SolMiester
16-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Why only 2 speakers and bass with a Media Centre PC?, no surround sound?, what is the native resolution of that monitor?, buy a graphics card to suit it.

Strommer
17-10-2006, 06:59 AM
Tukapa - just a minor point regarding "Microsoft multimedia keyboard". I have this keyboard and if I had to do it again I would get a back-lit keyboard instead. I thought the MS multimedia would be good for its Play Pause FFWD etc buttons but these often do not work at all and the other buttons at the top of the keyboard are never used by me even though they work (such as the button for opening my email program) as I find it more convenient to use the usual mouse and desktop.

However there have been plenty of times I would have liked an illuminated keyboard instead of having to turn the room light on. It is similar to using a cellphone in dim or dark conditions - having the keypad with 'back light' is standard and expected.

Tukapa
17-10-2006, 10:55 AM
I get an Intel Core Duo instead - very impressed with the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz humming along in this machine.

I looked at going that way but due to both the motherboard and the CPU being twice the price meant I would struggle to keep the end price under the $3000.

Why only 2 speakers and bass with a Media Centre PC?, no surround sound?, what is the native resolution of that monitor?, buy a graphics card to suit it.

The guy I am buying for is hung up on the Media Centre OS becuase that is what he has seen in Harvey Norman etc etc when looking. I doubt he would use it much but that is what he wants (and it costs bugger all more for that OS as opposed to XP Home)

The native resolution of the monitor is 1440x900 and it is 4ms with DVI. The card I was looking at says it has a max resolution of 2560x1600 so by my accounts they should work together. If I am wrong feel free to point it out!! :D

Cheers.

SolMiester
17-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Tukapa, just asking about the speakers as he has TV card, so will want to watch with surround sound, well I would anyway. Also the card should be playable frame rate for that LCD panel, but the 7600GT may struggle a little.

zahmad
17-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Get rid of the Floppy, u won't need it :thumbs:

PedalSlammer
17-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Nice PC. But I won't be getting mine so soon. :thumbs: Good luck building your PC.

SolMiester
17-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Had a look at the creen.....dont think I would go for a wide screen at that size. 22" yes, but not 19", rather have 4:3 ratio at 19", but thats just personal pref of someone who uses PC's everyday for hours.:2cents:

Tukapa
17-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Get rid of the Floppy, u won't need it :thumbs:

Did you read the whole thread? I won't be getting rid of the floppy. Although imagine what else I could buy if I just saved that $13. :xmouth:

Had a look at the creen.....dont think I would go for a wide screen at that size. 22" yes, but not 19", rather have 4:3 ratio at 19", but thats just personal pref of someone who uses PC's everyday for hours.:2cents:

Point taken - perhaps I will talk him into a standard 19" LCD monitor. Thanks for that.

pctek
17-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Did you read the whole thread? I won't be getting rid of the floppy. Although imagine what else I could buy if I just saved that $13. :xmouth:

I'm with you - floppies are handy on occasion, and they're dirt cheap.

motorbyclist
18-10-2006, 02:09 AM
Thanks all

The only gaming that is expected to be done on it is Microsoft Flight and Train simulators.

I did think about going to a 7900GT but was dubious if it would give an increase in performance equal to twice the 7600GT (considering it is twice as expensive to buy).

As for the floppy drive - I originally built my own machine and did not install a floppy. Then I found myself wishing I had spent the extra $13 because I found several instances where I needed a floppy drive and I have since chucked one in.

nothing wrong with a 7600gt for gaming (FSX kinda counts as a game), and yes floppy drives are still important.

as for LCD monitor brand the only difference is customer support and warranty. beleive it or not, like ice cream, they all come out of the one factory.