PDA

View Full Version : Internet Shareing problem, Help req

Ockerr
15-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Hi Guys
Gotta problem here

I have my main Computer as a server and the client Computer is upstairs in another room. We can exchange files and we are networked nicely. BUT, on the Client we have 2 Flashing Computer icons on the start Bar, one is the Local connection and the other is the D-Link pp Connection,Modem.
The Client can see the icon flash , or Blink when a web page is attempting to open But the Web page wont find a site, the connection is almost complete But there seems to be a Bug on the line.When we open a IE, it just says that "This page cannot be displayed" no matter what site we try to reach its always the same. The properties of the D-Link Icon says we are connected and there seems to be Data transfering , But its very little.
I have 2 other Icons But they do Nothing But they are on the Desk top One is (DSL 302g ADMIN (ETH ) and the other is (1394 connection ) they seem to do nothing. Once by sheer Luck it did work for a few minutes and has never worked again. Every setting looks right But the IE and Outlook express just wont use that connection, Is there a way to point it to that connection, There are no problems on the server Computer,,Thanks for any Help Must mention that the Client can access the Net and Pages by the internal Dialup modem

Speedy Gonzales
15-10-2006, 05:03 PM
You're not networking with 1394 (firewire) are you? Thats what 1394 is.

And u didnt give the 1394 an ip address did u ? Coz you shouldnt.

You should be entering an ip address under the LAN connection in My network places (if u have XP).

XP detects firewire (1394) as a network adapter as well. BUT, firewire is used for DV cams etc... not usually as a NIC or given an ip address.

motorbyclist
15-10-2006, 11:33 PM
ok, are you connected using crossover cable or what? can you ping your isp or mates ip or anything on the net?

please give a more accurate explaination of your network and how it should be working (which applies to all pc problems), and be honest and say how experienced you are with networking (will affect wording of instructions i may post)

edit: also include firewall info (like norton, zonealarm etc)

Ockerr
16-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Hi Guys
Yes I can Ping each Computer from either computer. There is no Firewall at the moment, XP Firewall is disabled. On the client I can see the Dial up connection Icon flashing and it says connected, I can see the same on the Server Computer. Networks File shareing works okay, Client Definately has the Internet connection, But when I open IE it wont bring up a Web page.
Both Computers are connected by ethernet Cable, Yes we can Ping Mates on the Net. All seems okay, But we cant connect to the Net..or should I say we are connected But the Browsers wont connect and Outlook Express wont connect, But they will if I use a Dialup Modem. Cheers and Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
16-10-2006, 04:02 PM
1. Is ICS ticked, if you're on dialup?

This has to be ticked for the other pc to get on the net.

2. Are u using a crossover cable? You need one if you're not using a ethernet hub.

So, is the 1394 icon still flashing or not? It shouldnt be, since thats not usually connected to an ethernet cable.

And if youre trying to get on the net with broadband, dont u need a router or something? Have u got a router?

Ockerr
16-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Yes ics is ticked, we are shareing files, The Internet connection Icon is on the Taskbar beside the Clock so is the Network connection, It says we are connected to the Internet. I'm sorry I mentioned about the 1394 connection and the DSL connection I now understand they have no bearing as the connections we are talking about are at the bottom right corner beside the Clock, They are the Local area connection and the D-Link adsl connection, they are on Both computers and are Flashing to show we are connected, They also state that they are connected, But IE wont go on the Net, When I try to go to a Web site IE starts to connect and It says THis page cannot be displayed.
Cheers and thanks for any Help

SolMiester
16-10-2006, 06:27 PM
wrong post!

Speedy Gonzales
16-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Ok, umm on the networked pc under the LAN properties / TCP/IP, did u put the ip in manually, and for subnet mask put 255.255.255.0 and default gateway, the ip for the router? (I think it'll be the ip for the router).

motorbyclist
16-10-2006, 06:44 PM
what are the dns settings\are they correct, and have you tried firefox by any chance?

so what i gather is you have a adsl router connected to main pc which is connected to second pc using crossover cable, correct?

if you can ping the net from second pc then it is just your browser settings (or should be)

Ockerr
17-10-2006, 08:01 AM
No I have on my server Computer a ADSL Modem connected to the Net...From my server I have a cable going to a 16 plug Hub...From the Hub a Cable goes to my Client computer. All is working well. File shareing is okay. The Internet connection is showing on the client, so all is working well. Now How do I make IE use that Internet connection.
If I dissconnect from the HUb and use a ethernet cable from server to client it is still the same. so the Hub has no problems.
It is a configue problem here, maybe I have forgotten to tick somewhere.
On my client the twin computers flicker as if trying to let IE connect, But it wont. Thanks Guys Much appreciate all this.

Ockerr
17-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Oopps I do not have any DNS adress I just have the I/P adress of 192.168.0.1 on the server and its 192.168.0.2 on the client. of cource the sub is 255.255.255.0. Where it says ( Use the following DNS server adresses ) I have nothing

Ockerr
17-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Ooopps I forgot to mention
My I/P on the server is 192.168.0.1 with sub 255.255.255.0 and on the client its 192.168.0.2 and 255.255.255.0.
I have no DNS server adress...(DO I need one ) if so is it on both Machines.

Many thanks

motorbyclist
17-10-2006, 10:14 AM
well those ip addresses are generally used for crossover cables, but if it works it works... as for dns, you computers can ping the web so i think its ok (i presume it's set to auto). the issue is internet explorer has not been correctly configured, and unfortunatley (well, for you) i have been using firefox for so long i cant remember how IE works, although i'm sure it's similar...

does anyone else know how/what to set his IE settings to?

Speedy Gonzales
17-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Oopps I do not have any DNS adress I just have the I/P adress of 192.168.0.1 on the server and its 192.168.0.2 on the client. of cource the sub is 255.255.255.0. Where it says ( Use the following DNS server adresses ) I have nothing

Put the ISP's DNS primary and secondary ips in there. Where it says use the following DNS server addresses.