PDA

View Full Version : Broadband speed questions

kiwibits
15-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi all, I'm on Slingshot broadband which runs ok most (half) of the time then in the evenings and weekends it slows down big time. Is this because slingshot has too many customers for it's available bandwidth or is it the same for all providers. If its the same for everyone what is the point of the free for all that xtra is offering if the copper pipe is already maxed out. If it will only slow everything up more then maybe it's xtras way of getting people to swap to a more expencive ADSL2 when it comes or maybe I'm just wrong (it happened once before, May 1994 I think it was).

stu161204
15-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Is this because slingshot has too many customers for it's available bandwidth or is it the same for all providers.

Have you asked/ talked to slingshot about this slowdown?

I have my money on your exchange your connected to, been overload & when everyone is home that is why you have those slowdowns.

imo if it was slingshot having too many customers for it's available bandwidth then there would be a lot of complaints around the place.

pctek
15-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Slingshot broadband which runs ok most (half) of the time then in the evenings and weekends it slows down big time.

If its the same for everyone what is the point of the free for all that xtra is offering if the copper pipe is already maxed out.

Everyone jumps on and starts downloading all their illegal music and warez.

The point is to make Telecom look good while still providing crap service.

motorbyclist
16-10-2006, 12:24 AM
note telecoms claim to offer max speed (a theoretical 7Mb/s) has small print that it will be only as fast as it can go using your connection. also when they say "unlimited" data cap they really mean that after 700MB during peak hours they'll cut your speed... moral: telecom has quite possibly the most BS marketing in NZ, right up there with dell/hp

my money is on your exchange also... move house or get everyone else to stop using the internet