PDA

View Full Version : XP pro install problems

LOWTEC
15-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Im trying to install XP Pro onto my SATA hdd. i have made a 60gb partition for windows to be on and the other 130 has about 100gb of misc data on it so dont want to delete both partitions and start from scratch if possible. My problem is that the setup program says that windows cant be installed on this partition and i need to make a new 1, so i deleted the 60gb partition and let windows make one only for it to come up with the same error again?

have I originally partitioned my hdd wrong? or so i have to load drivers as i have read elsewhere to install XP onto a SATA drive?

hope that makes some form of sense any help would be great

cheerz

pctek
15-10-2006, 10:25 PM
You only need drivers for XP install to see the sata drive so that it can format and install in the first place.
As yours is being detected - then you don't need them.
It was only older motherboards without proper sata BIOS support.

I would be rescuing the data from the other partition fast, any way you can, sounds awfully like thedrive may need a complete fresh format and new partitions, or even a test to see if its ok.

motorbyclist
16-10-2006, 12:19 AM
i agree, copy the data to somewhere safe, like a mates hdd (or a work one lol :thumbs:). then completely reformat. i dont know about the integrity of the drive, but get it checked if you want to be sure.

i always thought that windows needed a clean drive, but now it only occured to me that i've never tried it otherwise so i cant be of much further help

LOWTEC
16-10-2006, 01:34 PM
thanks for that i assumed i would probably have to do this but just thought i would check i wasnt missing anything first. now to find 100gb of free space!

pcuser42
16-10-2006, 04:08 PM
:D

LOWTEC
16-10-2006, 06:45 PM
gah still no luck i have deleted everything so essentially now im just trying to install XP onto a blank SATA hdd. is there something im missing? its running at RAID 0 and shows up fine as an unpartitioned hdd but when in the setup screen and press enter on it it says windows cant be installed onto this partition please create another and when you let windows create another it says the same thing again? why does nothing ever go smooth for me when modifying computers?!!

any1 got any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
16-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Dont u need 2 hdd's for RAID0? The same brand and size?

Havent u only got 1 SATA?

I would disable RAID in the BIOS.

I dont think RAID is intended for just 1 hdd even if its partitioned.

I would chuck the XP cd in delete all partitions, create the spare partition, then the main one, then install XP on whatever partition.

LOWTEC
16-10-2006, 06:58 PM
sorry should of stated my system specs running 1 200gb IDE hdd and then two seagate 200gb sata hdd at RAID 0 but should I not be using RAID at all?

Speedy Gonzales
16-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Does the mobo support anything else BUT RAID0?

I wouldnt really bother with RAID0.

Since if the main hdd crashes so does the other.

Only good thing maybe an increase in speed.

Does the mobo support IDE and SATA RAID/RAID0 combined?

I thought the hdd had to be SATA or IDE (both of them had to be SATA or IDE).

motorbyclist
16-10-2006, 07:45 PM
for raid the hdds should be identical as i understand it... disable it and see if it works perhaps

LOWTEC
16-10-2006, 10:06 PM
disabled it and seems to of worked...however ****en windows in its infinite wisdom decided whilst checking one of my other hdd for consistency that i didnt really need 30gb of data and promptly deleted it. thanks microsoft!:angry

I assume theres no way to either a) find out what i have lost? or b) actually get it back?

motorbyclist
16-10-2006, 10:41 PM
if you wish to pay anywhere up to $900 the data should be retrieveable. i would suggest you find a program to retrieve the data and pirate it, but that would be illegal;)

when files are deleted a little note is put infront saying "deleted info", which is why uninstalling takes so much longer than installing. so provided you havent written where the old data was, you should be sweet. formatting, however, i think actually wipes everything clean so if it was formatted, bugger.

try downloading a retrieval program, they usually offer trial to prove they found data (and may list the files to tell you what you have lost) but demand money to actually give you the data... at a guess it may cost $60. it costs hundreds if you give it to a company that will basically do the same thing.

LOWTEC
22-10-2006, 11:26 PM
I thought id fixed my problem but its still not working. I installed XP onto my sata hdd but it will only let me boot from it when my IDE that has my previous install of XP on it is still in my PC - comes up with the screen where you can choose what install to boot from. why would this happen? when i disconnect it and just have my sata hdd plugged in it wont boot from it just comes up with some weird nvidia stuff then says please insert boot disk. even though i know theres a working install of XP on it.

anyone know why this is so much of a hassle just to install xp onto a sata hdd and have it boot from it?

thanks

Callum

motorbyclist
23-10-2006, 12:57 AM
as i understand it XP doesnt come with sata drivers.... but my xp sp1a disk works, so check what version it is perhaps...

Speedy Gonzales
24-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Not all SATA hdd's or mobos need SATA drivers.

But if the mobo came with a cd with SATA drivers on it, they need to be extracted to floppy first, then installed during the install of XP (altho, even if the cd has them on it, the SATA drivers arent always needed).

motorbyclist
25-10-2006, 01:50 AM
yeah something like that

nw3
05-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Has DDO got something to do with this? (DDO=Direct Disk Overlay)

I recently bought a Seagate 320GB HD SATA,
downloaded Seagate's Disk Wizard to create the partitions,
tried to install Windows on the first partition but ended up messing the whole thing.
Now, I got 137GB 'available'.
When I try to use the Disk Wizard, it says I need to uninstall the DDO using the Disk Wizard Starter Edition.
I downloaded the Disk Wizard Starter Edition
(created floppies and burnt iso on CD)
but my computer hangs when trying to load DWSE - therefore no luck.

Anybody knows how to remedy?

I have 2 IDE HDDs, 1 80GB and 1 200GB. Boot partition is on 200GB drive as I can't get the 80GB HDD to have a primary drive as it exceed the 1024 cylinder or whatever.

motorbyclist
05-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Anybody knows how to remedy?

yea, use the windows cd to format/partion the disk