PDA

View Full Version : Delayed Write Failed errors?

rusty_knifenz
14-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi,

I'm starting to get some weird errors on a 250Gb seagate SATA drive I installed in my pc a few months ago. I have another 80 Gb (IDE) drive I use as the main drive, with windows, and drivers / a few apps on it. The 250gig drive I use for music and storage etc.

I've been trying to rip a few cds to mp3 using Audiograbber (with LAME encoder), and have started to get errors (from windows) popping in my taskbar along the lines of "Delayed Write Failed. Windows was unable to write the file D:\, please try to save the file to another location". After this occurs, trying to copy files to D: yields the same error (browsing the system event log shows them as events 51 and 50. The file D:\$Mft is also mentioned often in the error popups, which I assume cant be a good sign since this is the master file table.

Restarted the pc seems to solve the problem, but trying to rip another cd, the error shows again after audiograbber gets around 3/4 of the way through the cd.

Googling the problem has shown me that a lot of people having this problem have ATi video cards, however I have a nvidia. I have seen the MS solution to this, and have checked and ensured that Large System Caching is indeed switched off. Full system specs are:

WinXP SP2
Abit IT7-Max2 V2.0 mobo
P4 2.4GHz
1gig ram
Gainward Nvidia Ti4200 (128mb)
80gig seagate IDE drive (system drive)
250gig seagate SATA drive (storage)

After opening up the case, all the cables etc seem to be secure and working properly. Even with the case open, the drive isn't making any strange noises to indicate physical drive failure.

I'm not sure if it is related, but when installing the 250gig drive, I had to jumper the drive to slow the transfer speed down, since my older mobo cant handle full speed SATA.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
14-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Does the mobo support SATA 1 or 2? It sounds like the mobo only supports SATA not SATA 2.

If it only supports SATA 1 that maybe why u had to jumper it. Otherwise the mobo wont handle it.

And it wont work at all.

And normal SATA's dont have jumpers on them. They always run as masters. And dont change from 300 to 150 or lower.

rusty_knifenz
14-10-2006, 06:54 PM
The mobo is quite old and only supports SATA 1, speed: 150. I know normally you don't need to jumper a sata drive, but I went through this when installing it. I had problems with it not being recognised etc, and found that in order for it to work i needed to jumper it (This was from documentation on both the abit and seagate websites).

It has worked fine up until now, it has only been in the past few days when it has started giving me errors. I've used around 100gigs of the space on it.

Speedy Gonzales
14-10-2006, 06:58 PM
The mobo maybe too old to keep up with it.

Dont get SATA 2 hdd's next time. I would either take it back / copy / format before u do. And get a SATA 1 hdd.

rusty_knifenz
14-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks for your advice. I don't think that's the problem though. I realise that my mobo cant keep up with full speed SATA (Abit acknowledges the fact), hence why I have the HDD throttled back.

Also, if that was the problem, surely I would have experienced the problem before now. That particular drive has been installed in the computer since June/July, and I have only seen that error in the past few days.

rusty_knifenz
16-10-2006, 02:09 PM
*bump*

rusty_knifenz
20-10-2006, 12:39 AM
I think I may have fixed the problem.

I updated the driver for the HPT374 RAID/SATA controller on my mobo to the latest version (driver download from ABIT USA website), and that seems to have done the trick.