PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer won't connect

Tony
12-10-2006, 03:59 PM
I can't get IE to connect to any website. It is not a general problem, as Outlook Express and Firefox all work OK. If you try to access anything with IE it just waves the little flag and nothing ever happens. I don't get a timeout or anything.

Any ideas?

pctek
12-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Done the usual malware scans?

If so and its clean then reinstall IE.
If not...

Jen
12-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Have you blocked Internet Explorer in your firewall?

~Mandy~
12-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi,
It could be your firewall blocking internet explorer.

~Mandy~
12-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Sorry, ignore my post I was too slow.

SolMiester
12-10-2006, 05:32 PM
what happens if you just leave the window open?. I did have any issue like that and didnt work it out until I had registered a download manager. The DLM took control of IE shell because of downloads, and as the trial period was over it, it was waiting to be registered, even though I didnt see any dialog box until the program was opened manually.

Just a though!

Tony
12-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Malware - I have Spybot and AVG active and neither of those have shown anything - any other suggestions?

The only firewall I have active is on the router, and that is not blocking IE on the other PC on the network.

I had installed IE7 beta, so I uninstalled it and reverted to IE6 - problem still exists.

Leaving the window open - I have left it running for several mnutes with no response.

I ran the XP network diagnostic tool. Just occasionally it said it was unable to connect, but usually it could, even if IE couldn't.

bk T
12-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Try to install Firefox and see whether it can access the Internet? If it can access without any problem, then your copy of IE may be corrupted.

Run WinsockxpFix to repair IE.

Suggest you scan your pc with your antivirus /spybot & adaware to make sure that it is not infected.

Tony
12-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Try to install Firefox and see whether it can access the Internet? If it can access without any problem, then your copy of IE may be corrupted.

Run WinsockxpFix to repair IE.

Suggest you scan your pc with your antivirus /spybot & adaware to make sure that it is not infected.Read the original and subsequent posts.

Safari
12-10-2006, 10:00 PM
I don't think it will be a winsock problem as email is working.
Can you access a web site with an IP address - try Yahoo 209.131.36.158

Have you checked Tools/Internet options/Connections
Go to Lan settings and check for Proxy Server

Tony
12-10-2006, 10:12 PM
I don't think it will be a winsock problem as email is working.
Can you access a web site with an IP address - try Yahoo 209.131.36.158

Have you checked Tools/Internet options/Connections
Go to Lan settings and check for Proxy ServerI didn't thnk it was Winsock either.

No it can't get to Yahoo, and even more interesting, it can't get to the router on 192.168.0.1 - which would seem to point to something blocking it - but what? Would it be a port being blocked or the actual program?

As far as I can tell (not that I'm entirely sure what I am looking at), Spybot is not blocking it, and I don't have anything else active (I think). I have Windows firewall disabled as I have the router firewall.

Safari
12-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Go to control panels/Network connections
Right click Lan connection and go to Properties
Select networking tab
Select Internet protocol and properties
Check Obtain IP address and DNS server are selected to automatic
While in there go to Advanced and DNS Tab and remove anything in there.

Safari
12-10-2006, 10:24 PM
IE is not working off line is it - File/Work Offline
Might sound a dumb suggestion but a lot of people have been caught with this as it does not always give a message indicating this.

Tony
12-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Go to control panels/Network connections
Right click Lan connection and go to Properties
Select networking tab
Select Internet protocol and properties
Check Obtain IP address and DNS server are selected to automatic
While in there go to Advanced and DNS Tab and remove anything in there.Wouldn't problems there affect the rest of my Internet access? Outlook/Firefox/Adaware are all OK.

I looked at Work offline - good idea, but alas no.

Safari
12-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Wouldn't problems there affect the rest of my Internet access? Outlook/Firefox/Adaware are all OK.

I looked at Work offline - good idea, but alas no.

Yes it most likely would but running out of ideas.
Something is blocking it and the most likely thing is a firewall of some sort.
Have you ever had a firewall installed at some time which may left some bits still there.
XP firewall doesn't usually give a problem but you could try it off for a check.

Tony
12-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Have you ever had a firewall installed at some time which may left some bits still there.
XP firewall doesn't usually give a problem but you could try it off for a check.I've only ever installed XP firewall, and that is disabled.

Banking
13-10-2006, 12:28 AM
i just had the exact same problem with IE aswell, everything else was working like msn and firefox but when i tried touse IE and it didnt work , but i found out my problem it was with my firewall