PDA

View Full Version : guitar straight to PC

rob_on_guitar
12-10-2006, 06:25 AM
OK, I havent worked up the courage to try this, but I have a little 15watt practice guitar amp.

What I want to do is plug it straight from the amps headphone jack to the PC line in.

Considering I have a pretty crappy HP PC should I even try? Or am I going to burn out the sound card or something?

The reason I want to try it is to simplify some recording and my mixer is on the blink....:help:

TIA

drcspy
12-10-2006, 06:31 AM
doubt you'll do any harm it should work perfectly......i've recorded lots of vinyl onto the pc the same way.......turntable/amp/headphonesocket ---> line in on comp.....

rob_on_guitar
12-10-2006, 06:34 AM
true, I have search the net, but the items I have read are very vague on actual details.

Once I finish work (im on the graveyard shift) I may try it.

Has anyone actually tried it?

pcuser42
12-10-2006, 07:32 AM
I did it with my radio, and I suddenly heard music coming from the airways! :)

The_End_Of_Reality
12-10-2006, 08:31 AM
It will work, the headphone jack is designed for headphones etc right? well the Line In on a PC is, put simply a headphone input (meaning whatever you use headphones on you can put into the Line In) I have never had a problem with this... so give it a try.

Kame
12-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Why not go from guitar to line in of the computer instead and the output of computer to amp/speaker, that way amplification is only done on the output rather than the input.

Doesn't really matter, just that the way you have it you have to control both the input level and output level while my way output for both computer and amp needs to be controlled, though you just set the computer to output at max volume and use the amp for volume control.

Actually just rethinking, if you use distortion and want to record it, then guitar to amp and then amp to computer input might be the better way.

Cheers,

KK

Jimmy D
12-10-2006, 12:18 PM
yep it will work, i've gone from guitar to practice amp to line in and it works perfectly! I dont think you can go straight from guitar to pc because the pc doesnt know how to interprit the guitar signal

muzzle
13-10-2006, 01:51 AM
I have done plenty of DI (Direct Input) recording of my Gat thru my pc over the years. No harm in it at all, and authough Jimmy D here doesn't realise it, the guitar will work fine this way. Think of the pickups as microphones in this case, as they are magnets which instead of picking up your voice, work with your strings.
Pluging your amp in will also work, you might have to play around a bit to get a good sound. When recording quitars back in the studio we never used to DI or use a Line In, but rather use a guitar microphone (in front of the amp) and in fact often run a second mic furthur from the amp to pickup the natural resonance from the room. Try DI, Mic's and Line Out from your amp to see what works best for you and good luck!

SurferJoe46
13-10-2006, 05:29 AM
Just a note:

I thought I lost the center channel on my soundcard and was just using a 2.1 system for a while...then I got the silly idea to delete and reinstall the drivers for my soundcard.....and got everything back.

Now I can toggle the center output to a line-in from my guitars or basses and it works well....when all the time I thought I had killed my center jack.

Ah well...that was a lost 4 months or so.

rob_on_guitar
13-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the help guys, much encouragement!

I have tested it and it does work great! Now Im shopping for amp emulators(?)

But yup, maybe Ill even post a track if I get brave enough:blush:

Dragonslayer
13-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the help guys, much encouragement!

I have tested it and it does work great! Now Im shopping for amp emulators(?)

But yup, maybe Ill even post a track if I get brave enough:blush:

I use this program:

Guitarist's Toolkit Vol. 2, Amp Modelers

With the advent of microprocessors, there are many amazing "amp modeling" software packages available to musicians which can simulate a variety of vintage amps, as well as create new sounds. Like a conventional analog amp, operation is usually simply a matter of turning the "knobs." Not just the tone controls, but all amp, cabinet and effect settings are usually selectable, so creating the sound you want is intuitive and fast!

Contains the following Amp/Sound Modelers:

Amplitube 1.3.1
Amplitube LIVE
Amplitube UNO
Blues Tubes 2
Brackenbury Tubeamp Factory
CAP (pb2)
Chimp / Chimp Dual amp-sims v1.1
FreeAmp SE
G-Amp Classic
G-Amp Phat
G-Amp Lite
Helian CP75
Helian FS12
Helian FU22
Helian 1st Bass
Helian 2nd Bass
Izotope Trash
Native Instruments Guitar Combos
Native Instruments Guitar Rig (and huge library)
Nomad Factory Rock Amp Legends
Polarity GX Stack
Alien Connections ReValver 1.5
Saro
Steinberg Warp
TubeBaby
Voxengo Boogex
Voxengo Lampthruster
Waves GTR Guitar Tool Rack

Google each for more info...Sorry, no pics...

rob_on_guitar
14-10-2006, 10:10 AM
I use this program:

Guitarist's Toolkit Vol. 2, Amp Modelers

With the advent of microprocessors, there are many amazing "amp modeling" software packages available to musicians which can simulate a variety of vintage amps, as well as create new sounds. Like a conventional analog amp, operation is usually simply a matter of turning the "knobs." Not just the tone controls, but all amp, cabinet and effect settings are usually selectable, so creating the sound you want is intuitive and fast!

Contains the following Amp/Sound Modelers:

Amplitube 1.3.1
Amplitube LIVE
Amplitube UNO
Blues Tubes 2
Brackenbury Tubeamp Factory
CAP (pb2)
Chimp / Chimp Dual amp-sims v1.1
FreeAmp SE
G-Amp Classic
G-Amp Phat
G-Amp Lite
Helian CP75
Helian FS12
Helian FU22
Helian 1st Bass
Helian 2nd Bass
Izotope Trash
Native Instruments Guitar Combos
Native Instruments Guitar Rig (and huge library)
Nomad Factory Rock Amp Legends
Polarity GX Stack
Alien Connections ReValver 1.5
Saro
Steinberg Warp
TubeBaby
Voxengo Boogex
Voxengo Lampthruster
Waves GTR Guitar Tool Rack

Google each for more info...Sorry, no pics...

Wow! way cool! thanks for that Dragon!:thumbs:

rob_on_guitar
20-10-2006, 03:52 AM
Ok Ive done a few demo tracks and stuff, is there a decent (free) place to store so I can just put a link to them if anybody wanted to listen or download them? They are my own music mp3's.