PDA

View Full Version : Firewalls, Security & Hardware

MasterofZack
11-10-2006, 05:36 PM
A while ago I tried to install a more recent version of ZoneAlarm over an older one. It keeps saying that the system needs to be rebooted, no matter how many times that has been done. Someone told me that it has to do with certain files of the older version not being allowed to be overwritten by the newer. Does anybody have any idea? (I had tried an upgrade vs fresh install first, unfortunately)

Also, I have been told and read that some quarters don't recommend using more than one anti-virus program. I think I've been told that it is because the engine of one program will mistake the signature file of another as being an infected program file.
What I am wondering is that because Norton has an exceptions list, would it be possible to get it to ignore the other program signature file, and have both mounted on SD cards - plugging in only one at a time?
Would it be possible to use SD cards to scan for viruses? I am worried that doing so may cause the card and reader to melt (maybe just my imagination!).

Any help would be really appreciated!

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2006, 06:15 PM
You can use more than 1 AV. Just dont have all of them scan email, if they have this option.

You shouldnt have more than 1 firewall, they'll conflict.

Dont know about Nortons. I got rid of it. If you're using Internet Security, you shouldnt have ZA installed as well.

Uninstall ZA again, then follow these steps.

01.) Restart your computer
02.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up keep
tapping the "F8" key (at the top of your keyboard)
03.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by
using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press
Enter
04.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you
get a help and support window, close this.
05.) Once you are at the desktop, Click Start, My Computer
06.) Click Tools, Folder Options, View Tab
07.) Place a dot next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
08.) Remove the check from "Hide Protected Operating System Files
(Recommended)"
09.) Choose Yes to the warning
10.) Click OK
11.) Double click C:

Note: In the future steps if you do not see any files or folders, please click
the "Show Files" link to view them.

12.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
14.) Close this window
15.) Click Start, My Computer
16.) Double Click the C:
17.) Double Click the Windows Folder (It may also be WinNT)
18.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
19.) Double Click the System32 Folder
20.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
21.) Locate and delete the following files in this folder

- vsconfig.xml
- vsxml.dll
- vsregexp.dll
- vsdata.dll
- vsdata95.vxd
- vsdatant.sys
- vsmonapi.dll
- vspubapi.dll
- vsinit.dll
- vsutil.dll
- zlcommdb.dll
- zlcomm.dll

22.) Clear your Temp Directory per the instructions below.

- Go to Start -> Run
- Type %temp% and click OK
- Select all of these files and delete them

23.) Clear the Prefetch folder per the instructions below.

- Go to Start -> Run
- Type Prefetch and click OK
- Select all of these files and delete them

24.) Remove the following registry entries by going to Start -> Run and
typing in regedit. Use the folders on the left side of the window to navigate
to the specified directories.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsmon
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsdatant

*Important Advisory: Deleting registry entries incorrectly may cause
serious problems to your operating system, which may necessitate the
need to reinstall it. Please make sure you are able to perform these
deletions correctly before you decide to edit the entries. If you are not
sure, you should seek help from someone who is familiar with editing the
registry.

For information about how to edit the registry in Windows, from your
desktop, click Start >> Run >> and type regedit. Click on Help >> Help
Topics. Under the Contents tab, click Change Keys and Values (this may
be found under the How to... section).

Also, you should always make a backup of the registry before editing it.
You can find this in the same section of the Help files.

25.) Close this window, then empty your recycle bin.
26.) Restart the computer.
27.) Try to install the latest version again.

MasterofZack
13-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks you very much.
Cool - I'll try that tonight. Any suggestions on some perhaps better firewalls? I'm a bit paranoid about security - at least, I want the best possible for as little $$ as possible.

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Get this (http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/)

Its free, u haveta put a valid email in, and they send a code, then its free for life.

Greven
13-10-2006, 05:58 PM
People always used to reccomend Sygate. Has everyone gone off it since it was aquired by symantec?

I use Kerio Personal Firewall

MasterofZack
06-11-2006, 04:06 PM
I have a new question.

I am intending to two anti-virus software programs to help protect my computer. In order to; 1) help prevent either of the programs from interfering with the other; and 2) help prevent malicious software programs from interfering with the two anti-virus packages through the use of a mechanical over-write disabling switch, I intend to place each of the two on to two separate Secure Digital (SD) flash memory cards (only one of which would be used at any given time). Somebody with whom I had discussed this set-up gave me a look like I was nuts!
Can anyone see a problem with this? (Please clearly state what your position is on this).

PS I also have other security software installed on my machine.

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2006, 04:14 PM
I would say unless the programs can run / or were made for the USB flash drives, they wont work.

This may work if u get one of these new U3 flash drives/disks, which can have certain programs on them.

Not too sure if there's a free AV program out for them yet.

You can have more than 1 AV program, just dont have them scan email, at the same time. Disable the scan email option, if u get or use more than 1 AV program.

KiwiTT_NZ
06-11-2006, 04:19 PM
I use Avast (http://www.avast.com) for AV
I use ProcessGuard (http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/) for Process and application execution prevention.

I dumped ZoneAlarm, because it was a resource hog and reverted to sygate 5.5 as opposed to 5.6, but be sure to use this guide (http://www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html) to set security.

SurferJoe46
06-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Ones that play well together and don't step on each other with false positives are:

Spybot S&D (use advanced mode and get the beta definitions too)
AdAware (NOT Adware!)
SpywareBlaster
AVG Free (use the e-mail scanner in this)
Windows Derender (for a software firewall)
Belarc BEFSR41 for the hardware firewall or any router with that capability
CCleaner to clean out the leftover junk
HiJackThis to defuse trojans and baddies manually

[links upon request...be careful! there are a lot of phonies out there that look right..but they aren't!]

You need several spyware tools...no one tool does it all.

BTW: you DO have SP-2...right???

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Windows Defender isnt a firewall, its for spyware.

SurferJoe46
06-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Windows Defender isnt a firewall, its for spyware.

You're right..sorry. I was thinking and typing in different zones again.

I got SP-2's firewall and run it...again sorry.

I STILL WANT A SPELL-CHECKER ON THIS SITE!!!! That way I wouldn't have to go back and edit all the time...I am not a touch typist!!!!

Pete O'Neil
06-11-2006, 05:04 PM
I STILL WANT A SPELL-CHECKER ON THIS SITE!!!! That way I wouldn't have to go back and edit all the time...I am not a touch typist!!!!
Get Firefox 2.0 its got a built in spellchecker its very similar to the one in Microsoft Word. e.g underlines misspelt words in red.

SurferJoe46
06-11-2006, 05:12 PM
I am waiting to see if my Colorful Tabs, SiteAdviser, center click, Video-Downloader and others are not crippled.

I have 1.5.0.7 right now and don't want to rock the boat.

Anybody got ideas if they work or not? :xmouth:

KiwiTT_NZ
07-11-2006, 09:14 AM
SiteAdvisor works

MasterofZack
07-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Yes I do have SP2....Windows Home version.

FrankS
07-11-2006, 06:40 PM
If you intend using Zone Alarm there are 5 different versions, look at

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/comparison.jsp?lid=home_compare

the version used can affect other operations

MasterofZack
09-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Further to my query about using a flash card as the location of my anti-virus program, it seems that it can be used according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory), but maybe I'm misinterpreting? Or is it a question of the computer knowing where to look for the file containing the virus definitions when the anti-virus system tries to perform a scan?

Poppa John
09-11-2006, 03:34 PM
You're right..sorry. I was thinking and typing in different zones again.

I got SP-2's firewall and run it...again sorry.

When I worked in an office I LOVED touching typists. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PJ :blush:

MasterofZack
27-11-2006, 05:04 PM
I intend to upgrade my Norton Anti-Virus software from the 2006 to the 2007 version. But Norton AV2006 is on the default C:\ drive and I want to put the Norton AV2007 in a different location. After the fiasco that was my experience trying to upgrade ZA from v3.x to v6.x I would like some advice on avoiding finding myself in similar difficulty (Any help would be appreciated as I really don't have much time to muck around with computer settings).

MasterofZack
27-11-2006, 05:10 PM
I would also like some advice from someone knowledgeable in the subject to tell me - what it means when you go to the update site for MS software to check you download history; and find that there are double entries for certain patches etc., one of which is crossed to mark a failed attempt to download and install and the other identical entry has a tick to mark a successful install. Does that mean that the patch is properly installed or not?
I would greatly appreciate some light being shed on this....

pctek
27-11-2006, 07:30 PM
I dumped ZoneAlarm, because it was a resource hog

Everyone keeps saying this - I have had ZA 4 for years now, its certainly isn't munching resources on my PC. In fact having a check with various programs, its one of my smaller less obtrusive things.

Maybe its just the new versions??

i-gordon
29-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Master Zack

I am intending to two anti-virus software programs to help protect my computer. In order to; 1) help prevent either of the programs from interfering with the other; and 2) help prevent malicious software programs from interfering with the two anti-virus packages through the use of a mechanical over-write disabling switch, I intend to place each of the two on to two separate Secure Digital (SD) flash memory cards (only one of which would be used at any given time). Somebody with whom I had discussed this set-up gave me a look like I was nuts!
Can anyone see a problem with this? (Please clearly state what your position is on this).

Installing programs on removable media eg. SD cards is a waste of time unless the program itself is designed to be used this way.
Almost all Programs such as Antivirus apps have entrys in the registry.
My AVG Antivirus chucked up 130 registry entrys under Grisoft alone there are probably several hundred more under different headings.
So even if you managed to install the program on a SD card, as soon as you remove it you create hundreds of invalid registry entrys that wont all be valid when you plug in the SD card again.

Installing 2 AntiVirus Programs is also a waste of time for the same reason as above because it is the registry entrys that each program generates that cause the problems.
Installing Programs on different partitions is also a waste of time because all the registry entrys are in the Windows OS located on where else but C:/Windows

Ian

MasterofZack
03-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Speedy Gonzales, I have downloaded the firewall, but have yet to install it on my machine. I downloaded it at a friends place and they decided that they would give it a go.

They downlaoded it themselves and installed it - but when they tried to use it, they had trouble with the way IE consequently displayed web pages. I'm just wondering, given that the person in question seems to think that they know a little bit more about computers than I suspect they really do, if it is because of something that the Comodo firewall is doing, or if their problem might have its origins/cause somewhere else? Did you have any problems yourself that you managed to fix or get around when you installed the firewall yourself?

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Nope havent had a prob with Comodo.

I know with IE 7, some sites havent changed their layout, so it works properly with IE 7.

This isnt a prob with Comodo or you. Whoever maintains whatever site/s, needs to fix it.

And there's not much u can do, until they fix it.

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Master Zack

Installing programs on removable media eg. SD cards is a waste of time unless the program itself is designed to be used this way.
Almost all Programs such as Antivirus apps have entrys in the registry.
My AVG Antivirus chucked up 130 registry entrys under Grisoft alone there are probably several hundred more under different headings.
So even if you managed to install the program on a SD card, as soon as you remove it you create hundreds of invalid registry entrys that wont all be valid when you plug in the SD card again.Ian

Actually, u can install programs on U3 USB flash drives. Thats what theyre made for. These programs are specially made for USB flash drives, and dont put anything on a hdd or in the registry.

Avast comes pre-installed on these, when u buy them. Well maybe not all of them, but it did on mine. BUT, its only a trial. I'm not too sure how long it lasts tho.

SurferJoe46
03-12-2006, 05:07 PM
I would also like some advice from someone knowledgeable in the subject to tell me - what it means when you go to the update site for MS software to check you download history; and find that there are double entries for certain patches etc., one of which is crossed to mark a failed attempt to download and install and the other identical entry has a tick to mark a successful install. Does that mean that the patch is properly installed or not?
I would greatly appreciate some light being shed on this....

Again...and I know I am laboring the point here, but if you get the latest version of Belarc Adviser (Google for it) it will tell you if all your M$ and Windows updates and hotfixes are up to date.

Check it out.

KiwiTT_NZ
04-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Maybe its just the new versions??I kept upgrading to the latest version, then I was researching into download performance and ZA was the culprit on a lot of issues with it. Sygate 5.5 is probably similar to the earlier versions of ZA. I first used ZA when it was version 2.1.