PDA

View Full Version : Hands on with Vista RC2

Chris Keall
11-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Vista Release Candidate 2, the last preview version before lift-off, was released to NZ testers today. It was released in the US over the weekend. Read a first look here (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/pcwBlogs?Openform).

The_End_Of_Reality
12-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Thats all great telling us about it, but do you have a DL link?

So far all I have found are links that redirect to the MS Vista RC1 site...

Chilling_Silence
12-10-2006, 09:12 AM
I saw RC1 the other day.

I was trying to view it all nice and optimistic, convincing myself that it was going to be a good thing. Id heard about the Bitlocker drive encryption which sounded cool so when I saw it on a PC I decided to fire up the control panel and have a little play.

I was disappointed, on this 3Ghz P4 w/1GB Ram & an ATi Radeon 9700 it stuttered frequently, like when drawing the icons for the Control Panel, similar to when you run XP on a 300Mhz w/128MB Ram... I was really dismayed, trying to work out what was happening to all the resources :(

Apparently RC2 is a good improvement in speed. They'd need to do a LOT to the speed before it would be enticing enough for me to buy it.

DX10 looks sexy though!

The_End_Of_Reality
12-10-2006, 09:25 AM
I have no problems running it on my machine with all the eye cady up on max and no stuttering, actually it runs faster than XP Pro, but that might be cause this is a fresh install and XP is bogged down now :p... but then my little machine is power-hungry :p

Althogh I did notice when I was having a massive clean up of my storage drive that I was using ~50% of my RAM that is 1Gb of RAM while in Windows!! :eek: and no other apps open...

Chilling_Silence
12-10-2006, 09:27 AM
This may be of interest:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=804655&SiteID=17

I'll have a look around for an ISO and throw in on my US webserver, have some spare bandwidth Im just dying for a use for :)

Greven
12-10-2006, 04:56 PM
I wonder what spec laptops the Microsoft guys were using at the roadshow - Vista ran quite well with all the eye candy

Chilling_Silence
12-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Im kinda keen to give the x64 version a whirl, coz the x64 XP sucked majorly compared to 32-bit windows.. 64-bit linux _sooo_ much better, in EVERY way possible :p

Apparently 64-bit Vista is pretty good thou?

Greven
12-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Im kinda keen to give the x64 version a whirl, coz the x64 XP sucked majorly compared to 32-bit windows.. 64-bit linux _sooo_ much better, in EVERY way possible :p

Apparently 64-bit Vista is pretty good thou?

It sounds like 64-bit Vista will be able to use emulation to run any userspace 32bit app.

Myth
12-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Right, so everyone knows... I have Vista RC2 (got it via torrent). Have burnt iso to DVD and am sending to another member tomorrow (thank you tukapa for the donation disc :D). I think the receiver or another forum member may be uploading to a server for others to get it soon. :)
Once uploaded, that member will likely post in here re: availability

It is the 32-bit version as well (not 64-bit sorry)

Chilling_Silence
12-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Yeah, of course it will run 32-bit stuff.. Same as x64 XP and 64-bit Linux (Although with Linux its optional, like my Gentoo system has _nothing_ 32-bit about it!). You'd just lose the performance benefits of 64-bit if you ran everything 32-bit thou...

bigmahlman
12-10-2006, 11:36 PM
i just installed rc1 and i love it!. it looks realy good and with a half reformat its running great.
im gona install a super fresh copy of xp, like completly wipe the hardrive. then im gona do a rc2 install and see how it works
anyone got a link to rc2? that would be sweet!

technicianxp
15-10-2006, 10:57 AM
I got myself a copy of RC1 a couple of days ago (RC2's just coming off a torrent now) and threw it onto my spare second hard disk (40GB with bad sectors but good enough for the job). I'd heard about all the speed problems and yes on my mid-to-low spec machine it's running a fair bit slower than XP ever did, but not as bad as I expected it to (the non-stop disk access is getting annoying now). I'm hoping RC2 will be an improvement.

The one thing that does interest me though is how much of it has been ripped off Mac OS X. I mean everything from the sidebar widgets to the oversize icons and even the flowing status meters is clearly derived from OS X. Should really be a bit of a shock to the likes of Mac_H8er with their favourite OS being derived from it's long-time rival.

Overall, good but the major hardware requirements I can say are gonna be a huge setback and the OS X roots just go to show despite what every Mac hating person says, the next version of their favourite OS is gonna resemble Mac OS in more ways than one.

paulw
15-10-2006, 03:44 PM
The one thing that does interest me though is how much of it has been ripped off Mac OS X. I mean everything from the sidebar widgets to the oversize icons and even the flowing status meters is clearly derived from OS X. Should really be a bit of a shock to the likes of Mac_H8er with their favourite OS being derived from it's long-time rival.

But isn't Microsoft an inovative company that would never dream of knocking off someone elses design , registered or not..??

technicianxp
17-10-2006, 07:51 PM
:) sure that's what a lot of people would love to think.

After now having had a go at RC2 myself I've come to a simple conclusion:
If you have less than 1GB of RAM, DO NOT even try Vista on your computer. Unless you've got the most patience ever known to mankind the continual disk access and terrible speed will most likely drive you to damage what is probably a more than acceptable PC for XP.

As for the OS itself, it looks nice and I suspect will probably be good. However that a big chunk of it is ripped-off OS X, although probably not a bad thing (for the OS that is) is still a fact that stands. If the performance issues also remain then there'll surely be a big group of users who decide to hang on to XP too.