PDA

View Full Version : pc keeps turning off :(

imogen
10-10-2006, 09:43 PM
since early this year for some reason my computer keeps turning off and i don't know why :( it doesn't restart or anything... the hard-drive literally turns off by itself. then when i try switching it back on i can't do it unless i switch it off by the button on the back, switch it back on, only THEN i can put on the power button. but after an hr or so later, it turns off again :(

could someone please tell me why this happens? i assumed it was cos the pc gets hot but am really unsure. and if that is the case how do i resolve that?!

:badpc:

pctek
11-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Your hard drive is a device inside the PC that holds all your data.
The thing you switch off is the computer, the PC, the box, the system.
Its the whole thing which contains parts such as a modem, hard drive, RAM etc.

It could be overheating or it could be a faulty power supply.
How old is it, what are its specifications?

What are you usually doing on it when it shuts off?

stu161204
11-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Welcome to PressF1 imogen :)

imogen
13-10-2006, 02:10 AM
Your hard drive is a device inside the PC that holds all your data.
The thing you switch off is the computer, the PC, the box, the system.
Its the whole thing which contains parts such as a modem, hard drive, RAM etc.

It could be overheating or it could be a faulty power supply.
How old is it, what are its specifications?

What are you usually doing on it when it shuts off?

ah sorry i don't know much about pc's. it's only the tower, outside box that turns off and not the monitor so it could be due to overheating, but sometimes it happens after only an hr :( my computer is quite old, it's windows xp but unsure how many years old it is. definitely over 5 though. i don't think there's anything wrong with the power supply.

Welcome to PressF1 imogen :)

hehe cheers :)

pctek
13-10-2006, 07:10 AM
it could be due to overheating, but sometimes it happens after only an hr :( my computer is quite old, it's windows xp but unsure how many years old it is. definitely over 5 though. i don't think there's anything wrong with the power supply.

So test the heat theory.

And how do you know the PSU is ok?

gibler
13-10-2006, 01:46 PM
And check the capacitors on the motherboard have a look at http://badcaps.net/ for an idea of what you are looking for... but yeah the old Power Supply is a high suspect.

And assume nothing...

Misty
13-10-2006, 02:45 PM
So test the heat theory.

So how would Imogen do that please, pctek ? From memory you can do it using Everest ??
Misty :confused:

Misty
14-10-2006, 11:02 AM
>bump<

tweak'e
14-10-2006, 11:19 AM
open the case and use a house hold fan to blow air into it.