PDA

View Full Version : Atchcung or something?

B.M.
09-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Ok guys, something from far left field this time.

A mate of a mate of a ……………… has just returned to NZ from Germany. Apart from a new BMW he has brought with him an old IBM Thinkpad 390. Now the problem he has is that everything on it is in German. Whilst he understands and speaks fluent German he would like it changed back to English. Now he’s taken it to a couple of service outfits but they have been unable to help. :confused:

It is running Win98 and although I have managed to find the Control Panel and changed the language under Regional settings to Englisch (Neuseeland) and the Keyboard Settings to Englisch (Australien) no luck.

At the moment vee r noot vining. Anyone any suggestions? :D

Speedy Gonzales
09-10-2006, 07:27 PM
If its a german version of wndows, you'll have to reinstall the english version of windows.

Jen
09-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Buying a local 2nd hand Win98SE CD and installing that will certainly sort it out.

I know you can install language packs, but to completely change the OS language ...?

Speedy Gonzales
09-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I think if the default language or install is German, there's not much else u can do. Everything will be in German.

The only thing u can do, is reinstall Windows again (with an English version).

B.M.
09-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Ahhhhhh, vel I just so happen to have a well used Win98se disk so I’m right onto it.

Thanks Speedy & Jen. :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
09-10-2006, 07:36 PM
No worries :)

Metla
09-10-2006, 07:51 PM
back up the drivers first.

B.M.
09-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Aheeem, vee have very strained Anglo German relations again! :lol:

Zee keyboard is a German Layout and we are getting very strange hieroglyphics.

This could make for a whole new language so I’ll be running total emersion classes next week. ;)

Ahhhh yes, de drivers Metla, vot would they be called? :cool:

Metla
09-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Driver Collector finds and collects the installed driver files for the hardware you select on your PC. After it collects the files, the program copies to your hard drive, in a specific folder.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Driver_Collector_d3982.html

Myth
10-10-2006, 02:35 AM
Driver Collector finds and collects the installed driver files for the hardware you select on your PC. After it collects the files, the program copies to your hard drive, in a specific folder.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Driver_Collector_d3982.htmlThis is one reason I watch your posts. Apart from having a good laugh, occassionally you drop a lil gem of an app in here (in this case Driver Collector). Got any others? PM if ya want :)

B.M.
10-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Thanks for that Metla. :thumbs:

I can confirm that the drivers are reinstalled (I think). Well, at least the Audio and Video are working well. ;)

However, there is no way Windows would allow me to load an English version over a German one. :groan:

So, we had to start again.

The language problem I was having was because I stupidly told windows I had a 101 USA Keyboard when in fact it was German. I got that sorted and then couldn’t find the back slash key! Quite tricky when you’ve got three characters on one key. Anyway, by the powers of deduction I found the key that gives lower, lower case. I guess it would be right hand Alt on our keyboards.

Anyway, I got the thing talking “Pigeon” but now it complains I have upset its Hibernation. I’ve struck this before with an Acer and it was a sod to fix so here’s hoping I can remember how I got the Acer to go to sleep. :badpc:

B.M.
11-10-2006, 08:04 PM
I thought it appropriate to announce that after a mini “Battle of Britain” and a few elocution lessons, zee "Rain in Spain is now gently falling on the plains". ;)