PDA

View Full Version : USB to IDE adaptor kit.

nzpcwd
09-10-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm trying to read a couple of HDDs using this (power to HDD) kit via a USB 2.0 port on modern computer. XP recognizes "mass storage device" on the status bar, but doesn't show up on My Comp or Device Manager.
Maybe this is because they are both Bootable HDDs with their own Operating Systems (on a partition). How can I bypass this fact? - have tried jumper off on back of drives to make them into slaves, also on "CS" (cable select).

Speedy Gonzales
09-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Go to control panel / admin tools / computer management / disk management. See if it shows here. If it does, right mouse and format it.

Graham L
10-10-2006, 01:47 PM
If the device is recognised as a mass storage device (at the hardware level), but doesn't appear as a filestructured device (to the operating syetem), it doesn't have a file system recognised by the host OS. The host OS is presumably a Microsoft one, because real operating systems do know about other file systems. :D

Reformatting would be a bit disastrous since you say you are trying to read data from the disks. Don't do that. ;) Slow down Speedy. :(

It makes no difference that the disks have bootable OSs on them ... if you are booting your normal OS on the host computer the OSs on the external drives are just collections of files.

The problem is the file system. I would suggest booting a "Live CD" version of Linux on a CD or DVD. Knoppix, Morphix, etc , make these, and any one wil be able to see and read most file systems. They will even be able to extract the data to a Windows disk. :D