PDA

View Full Version : Replacing CD-ROM with CD/RW

RoyG
09-10-2006, 03:01 PM
I have been given a Sony CD-RW Drive and would like to use it as a replacement for my currently installed (no maker's name) XM-6302B CD-ROM which came with my 1999 Dell Dimension. I have an 8G hard drive about half full and running W98. I also have a spare 12G drive which I am thinking of installing as a slave.

In the CD-RW manual it says to disable the original CD-ROM driver, suggesting that instructions on how to do this can be found in the CD-ROM manual. But of course there are no such instructions in the manual and no mention of drivers.

The obvious questions are: Do I need really to disable the old driver, and if so, how do I do it?

Finally, any advice, hints, warnings etc., about the proposed replacement, would be welcome.

pcuser42
09-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Just go ahead and replace it: Windows won't care. The drivers will be overwritten anyway.

Speedy Gonzales
09-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Once u remove the old cd, the drivers will unload for it. You have to open the case, unplug the old and plug the power and ide connection to the new cd.

And once the new cdrw has been installed, hopefully 98 will load the drivers for it.

Trev
09-10-2006, 04:44 PM
You can run both if you like. Just use CD/RW for writng and the cd rom for other things. I run a DVD writer and a DVD rom drive together.

Trevor :)

~Mandy~
09-10-2006, 07:35 PM
You can run both if you like. Just use CD/RW for writng and the cd rom for other things. I run a DVD writer and a DVD rom drive together.

Hi,
Is it a myth or is it true that the laser in cd-roms last longer than cd-rw drives if the drive is used mainly to read disks, eg playing games?

Trev
09-10-2006, 10:35 PM
I don't know. But I would of thought a writer would be harder on the laser than a reader.

RoyG
10-10-2006, 07:32 AM
Thanks a lot for the advice-it was pretty much in line with my own thoughts but it seemed prudent to seek comments from the more experienced.

snoopy
10-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi,
Is it a myth or is it true that the laser in cd-roms last longer than cd-rw drives if the drive is used mainly to read disks, eg playing games?

Most CD-RW drives have a separate read & write laser, I have one that reads OK but doesn't write any more.