PDA

View Full Version : USB drive missing

kydim
08-10-2006, 10:29 PM
gidday hope this makes sense, i've got a USB drive that was working but now doesn't show up when i plug it in. in prog files theres a folder for it (u-storage tool 2.9) with another folder for the drivers. in win explorer/my computer there's 3.5 Floppy A, local disk C, & flash disk D,(flash disk????) but no E or F or whatever. i thought d drive was the cd/dvd one. i actually reinstalled the drivers and there's no problems in device manager. hope someone can help with this

beama
09-10-2006, 07:07 AM
I am presuming your operating system is xp

Does it show in disk management,
right click "my Computer" choose "Manage" double click "storage" double click "Disk Management (local)".

If its there check and see if there is a drive letter double assignment.
If there is double up of drive letters right click on the usb drive choose "change drive letter and paths"

Its not often that you get a double up but it sometimes happens.

pctek
09-10-2006, 07:56 AM
With XP you wouldn't have to install drivers.

Check that D: is the USB drive, plug it in and read the contents. You may have lost your CD drive instead....

kydim
09-10-2006, 10:48 AM
thought i'd replied a while back ?? again

thanks beama no letter for that drive reads:- 1000MB
Healthy
so assigned F that cleared the D drive now reads DVD-RW Drive (D:) closed removed drive waited then put it back in - no recognition and back to Healthy - ?healthy?

to pctek, still got the CD drive

mjerniga
21-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Once you assign a new drive letter for a USB flash drive, how do you make it permanent. Every time I plug in my flash drive I have to go through the steps to change the drive letter to Z or some letter that's not used on our network.
Thanks,

FoxyMX
21-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Read post #2.