PDA

View Full Version : What Processor is better?

Motokid600
08-10-2006, 02:38 PM
What processor is petter. An Intell Pentium 4 or an AMD Athalon Processor? ( for gaming wise )

~Mandy~
08-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi,
petter?? lol

The amd is generaly better but it depends on exactly which processors you are comparing.

chiefnz
08-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Which Pentium 4 and which AMD Athlon CPU are you comparing?

Need a bit more info. Are you buying it new or 2nd hand, Do you have a budget? Have you got any other hardware components?

Cheers

chiefnz

Jams
08-10-2006, 03:25 PM
AMD 939's are IMO better than the Pentium 4 Counter Parts.

But Intel Dual Core's are marginly better than their AMD 940 Counter Parts.

Motokid600
08-10-2006, 03:26 PM
sorry about the spelling error:o ...anyway i dont know exacly what kind of cpu each one of them is. It just says Intell Pentium 4 processor and AMD Athalon Processor...

the Pentium 4 is about a year and a half old and the Athalon is maybe about 2 and half years maybe 2, im not sure...and reguarding to Jams. the pentium 4 isnt a dual core...

Anyway why im asking this is becuse i have a compaq computer too and a custom built computer that was built for gaming. and i was just wondering if the cpu in my compaq ( the Athalon ) my be better then the one in my custom comp ( the pentium 4 ) i was going to switch them, but i didnt know what one was better...

pcuser42
08-10-2006, 03:38 PM
It can depend on the GHz and buffer levels as well. Put simply, speed matters too.

Motokid600
08-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Ok, well heres each chips specs...

Intell Pentium 3 Processor -

3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

AMD Athalon Processor -

1.20 gigahertz AMD Athalon
128 Kilobyte primary memory cashe
256 kilobyte primary memory cashe

~Mandy~
08-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Anyway why im asking this is becuse i have a compaq computer too and a custom built computer that was built for gaming. and i was just wondering if the cpu in my compaq ( the Athalon ) my be better then the one in my custom comp ( the pentium 4 ) i was going to switch them, but i didnt know what one was better...

Hi,
You cant put the amd processer in the pentium motherboard they are not compatable.

Motokid600
08-10-2006, 04:19 PM
damn...o well, but im still curius to which ones better. refer to my post above yours...

Speedy Gonzales
08-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Well get whichever one u can afford.

Do a search in Google or Yahoo. And see what other sites / reviews say.

Motokid600
08-10-2006, 04:37 PM
I treid that, but since i dont have the specific name it just gives me the stuff i dont want, but from these stats i posted ,what appears to be better?

"Intell Pentium 4 Processor -

AMD Athalon Processor -

256 kilobyte primary memory cashe"

Speedy Gonzales
08-10-2006, 04:46 PM
I dont know I've never had an AMD.

You sound exactly like Pedalslammer!

Most probably this which helps

Both P4 (if its 478) and AMD (if its Socket A), are pretty much dead.

There's faster and better CPU's out now. But it'll cost u to update the mobo, ram and cards etc u want to put on the mobo.

If u cant afford anything better, I wouldnt bother upgrading/updating at all.

somebody
08-10-2006, 04:56 PM

Umm.. I think the most important part is the 3Ghz vs 1.2Ghz processor speeds. I'd definetely go with the P4, assuming that you have a motherboard which fits it.

dconline
08-10-2006, 10:05 PM
i would recomend the intel cor 2 processers, the entry level ones will smoke the amd dual cores, just read up reviews, www.tomshardware.com is a good place to start, because there always comparing componients, the core2 processers over clock great, im going to over clock mine to 3.0 ghz when i get water cooling

Pete O'Neil
09-10-2006, 10:23 AM
I dont think MotoKid wants to buy a new CPU, he mearly wants to know which of his two CPUs is better. A 3GHz P4 will outperform a 1.2GHz Athlon (notice the correct spelling of Athlon motokid?).

PedalSlammer
09-10-2006, 03:20 PM
I dont know I've never had an AMD.

You sound exactly like Pedalslammer!

Both P4 (if its 478) and AMD (if its Socket A), are pretty much dead.

There's faster and better CPU's out now. But it'll cost u to update the mobo, ram and cards etc u want to put on the mobo.

If u cant afford anything better, I wouldnt bother upgrading/updating at all.
lol, I did upgrade my computer already. I mean an old 2.4Ghz processor with Single core, memory size increased, video memory and speed has increased so my old computer performance has already increased.

Yo Motokid600,
Here's the deal. Do you have around $3000 now? Yes or No? If yes get an Intel Core 2 Duo(Whole System). If no, find a secondhand CPU with increased clock speed that supports your MOBO.
Intel Pentium 4 with HT is a really a hassel because when the pc game started the CPU will started to heat up but the speed is increadible. So you need a good CPU cooling case for running long hours gaming.
Intel Pentium 4? I think it is OK, for normal uses and downloading stuffs etc. Or VIA processors if you have $700 for a whole VIA system which is Mercury computer including CRT monitor too(That computer is really for budget people:2cents: ).
AMD? I haven't tried it yet but although I really wanna try it. So I think Intel is taking the World's Best Proccessor Maker lead for this year. AMD cache is kinda small but affordable it is still OK though but lets see the Quad Cores challenge between AMD and Intel soon.
Games? I played them all the time even on budget PC. But I still perfer the Intel Pentium 4 with HT CPU power.
lol. Got to go now, exams are coming soon.

dconline
09-10-2006, 03:55 PM
3 grand? my computer box only cost $2,200 excluding harddrive to build

CYaBro
09-10-2006, 04:19 PM
I treid that, but since i dont have the specific name it just gives me the stuff i dont want, but from these stats i posted ,what appears to be better?

"Intell Pentium 4 Processor -

AMD Athalon Processor -

256 kilobyte primary memory cashe"

Definitely the P4 CPU is better :thumbs:
That AMD Athlon is very old now. That one came out even before the Athlon XP range which came out at the end of 2001!

Just check though, with the AMD system, that you have the FSB (Front Side Bus) speed set correctly. It might infact be an XP CPU. I have seen quite a few XP CPU machines (mostly PC Company built) that had the FSB set at 100 instead of 133. This makes the CPU run slower than it can.