PDA

View Full Version : PC restarting

jazz_99
07-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Hey guys, I need a bit of help here. I recently got a new rig and I'm having problems with it restarting whenever I play games. I've turned of auto-restart and it still happens. It happens randomly as well and gives no error message. It will either completely restart or will freeze and I will manually need to restart it. When it freezes the sound gets caught in a loop.

Specs are:

M/B: Asus P5LD2-VM SE
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13 775 socket.
Ram: 2Gb Dual channel transcend.
HDD: Western Digital 320Gb SATA 2

Am using onboard sound and graphics until G/C arrives, and have installed latest drivers for chipset, sound and graphics. But still the problem continues.

Have also downloaded Everest to monitor temps, idle is anywhere from 30-33C and have only seen it up around 41-42 after it's restarted after trying to play a game.

I don't know what else to do, can anyone help please?

tweak'e
07-10-2006, 10:14 PM
what powersupply are you useing?

whats the case temps?

also asus often have their own temp reading program.

jazz_99
07-10-2006, 10:32 PM
I originally thought it was the power supply because I hadn't upgraded that but I've got a new 430W from a 300W. When you say case temp do you mean M/B temp or something else?

Jams
07-10-2006, 10:45 PM
I originally thought it was the power supply because I hadn't upgraded that but I've got a new 430W from a 300W. When you say case temp do you mean M/B temp or something else?

have youany idea what the Ampage on the 12v Rail is on that 430W PSU ?.

and, i had this exact same problem with my brand new rig. it turned out to be crappy RAM. so i ugraded to 2GIG Corsair. and it fixed it.

do a memtest on RAM, and if you have the RAM in Dual Channel, ar ethey a matched pair ?

jazz_99
07-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Ram is two 1 Gb transcend chips exactly the same, so I'm guessing they're dual channel, well they should be. Will try a mem tester on them.

mmmork
08-10-2006, 12:25 AM
Your machine is in a whole other league to mine, but RAM can cause all sorts of bizarre and frustrating problems I have recently found.

In my case the solution was popping it out, making sure the edges were clean, and also cleaning the ram slots themselves. I had memtest errors during one test, but it turns out the ram itself was fine, it just wasn't seated well enough.

On a much newer machine like yours this probably doesn't apply, but might be something to try.

Jams
08-10-2006, 12:53 AM
whats the model name of your Power Supply ?

nethaniel
08-10-2006, 04:46 AM
It would be wise to save whatever you can on to floppy and rewipe your machine asap.

[Edit: please ignore nethaniels post, it is obviously school holidays which is reflected in the inappropriate advice and troll like post he has made - Jen (Moderator)]

pcuser42
08-10-2006, 08:28 AM
What's a floppy? :D

~Mandy~
08-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Ram is two 1 Gb transcend chips exactly the same, so I'm guessing they're dual channel, well they should be. Will try a mem tester on them.

Hi,
Try removing one of the sticks of ram and see if that helps. If still the same swap it with the other stick and test again.

tweak'e
08-10-2006, 10:30 AM

what make/model powersupply?

yes, M/B temp please.

jazz_99
08-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Ok, thanks everyone for all the replies.

I've removed both sticks of ram made sure they were dust free as well as the ram slots, swapped them over and it still happens. I tried each chip on their own and in each slot, still freezes. The strange thing is one does it more than the other. I didn't have a floppy disk handy so I haven't done the mem test yet, will do tomorrow.

My power supply is a High Power by Sirtec 430W, if that helps and I think the amps running on the 12V rail is about 14 not entirely sure though.

jazz_99
08-10-2006, 10:41 PM
M/B temp ranges from late 20s to mid 30s

mmmork
08-10-2006, 10:43 PM
you can burn the memtest iso to a cd & boot from that.

Be aware memtest takes many hours.

jazz_99
08-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah I downloaded the .iso from the memtest page but the test is in german, lol. And I think there was only one iso file to download.

mmmork
08-10-2006, 10:53 PM
The one I used: memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/)

jazz_99
08-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Ok I downloaded memtest86 and created a bootable CD. It boots up and goes into DR-DOS what are the commands to run the test from there? I've ran an executable called WWBMU.exe but it's all in german.

mmmork
08-10-2006, 11:37 PM
hmmm, this may be a clue to the more clued up.

For me, once booted using the memtest cd it immediatly started the test.

That's kinda the point with memtest - it does NOT need an operating system, it should start between the POST (power on self test) and Windows starting. Why dos came up I haven't a clue.

I'm thinking some weird Dell mojo is on the hard drive. Some kind of low level format & start again might be in order.

gibler
09-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Ok I downloaded memtest86 and created a bootable CD. It boots up and goes into DR-DOS what are the commands to run the test from there? I've ran an executable called WWBMU.exe but it's all in german.

I think you used Nero and to quote "I now realise that I should have selected "Burn image to disc", instead of "Make bootable CD". So although I did have a bootable CD, it was one with the iso image stored on it as a file, not a copied image."

jazz_99
09-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Will Memtest86 finish by itself or will I have to stop it manually? How long does it take?

~Mandy~
09-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Will Memtest86 finish by itself or will I have to stop it manually? How long does it take?

Hi,
U have to stop it yourself. Just remove the cd and restart the pc. I think ppl run it for a few hrs or o/night for proper test but its up to you.

Jams
10-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Running this system on a 430W PSu known as a "Sirtec" 430W PSU with what you might think is 14A on the 12v Rail is a real NO NO.

for an E6600, 2GIGs of RAM, and especially when you get your G Card, i would advise a Enermax Noisetaker 485W atleast. 18A on the 12V Rail for a system like that IMO would be minimum. 14A would be starving what you have.

not blaming you here, but..some people undercut the importance of a quality powert supply.

M/B: Asus P5LD2-VM SE
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13 775 socket.
Ram: 2Gb Dual channel transcend.
HDD: Western Digital 320Gb SATA 2

mmmork
10-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Takes HOURS for the full test. Overnight is a good strategy.

However, if no errors appear in the first little while (1,2,3 hours) mebbe you can conclude RAM is not the problem and move to the next idea.

PSU would be on my list. And find a graphics card, any card. On-board will not run ****e and could be the prob.

CYaBro
10-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Running this system on a 430W PSu known as a "Sirtec" 430W PSU with what you might think is 14A on the 12v Rail is a real NO NO.

The PSU has dual 12V rails - one is 14A and one is 16A.
This should be plenty I would have thought??

SolMiester
10-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Does this MB have 2x dual ram slots?, if so, try the other 2 slots. My MB didnt like the 1st 2 slots when only 2 dimms used.

For a PC to restart/freeze, you can sort in the following order RAM/Overheating/PSU/drivers...

PS; gaming on on-boards chips?!.....good luck

jazz_99
12-10-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm only using the onboard graphics until I can afford the g/card I want. Well it looks like it might be the m/b anyway. CPU isn't overheating, have updated drivers for graphics, chipset and sound, have tried different RAM aswell (different brand and size of chips), have also run some HDD tests that came up clean. So I'm gonna return m/b and get it checked out as it's under warranty. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and help. Will update when I find out more about the m/b.