PDA

View Full Version : Linksys WAG54G router dying?

redbeard45
07-10-2006, 12:23 PM
My WAG54G wireless router has a 4 port switch with a PC on one port, a Mac on another and 2 other switches with printers in 2 other locations of the house, as well as 3 laptops on wireless. I first had problems last Friday when I turned on my PC. It came up with 'network cable unplugged' flicking on and off every few seconds - bizarre - I've never seen this before. Doing some testing revealed packet loss of up to 60% on the cable - tried other cables / network card - same result. The wireless part works fine and thankfully has continued to work throughout. I have reset the router (many times) by both software and pushing the Reset button. I have disconnected all other cables to eliminate conflicts and am still getting massive dropout. The next day, I tried testing the ports again, initially getting a "No route to host" on all ports. I turned the router off for a while and retried again with the same result. I then checked that I could ping another computer and one of the printers through one of the other switches on the network, which came up fine so I think that elliminates all other possibilities - computer, cables, etc. Nothing else is connected to the router at the moment.
I used the webpage Software Factory reset option and after putting in my internet settings, I got a limited response from the ports. This is 2 goes on each port testing on 20 pings
Port 1 - 95%, 90% packet loss
Port 2 - 50%90% " "
Port 3 - 80% 95%
Port 4 - 75% 100% so I did one more and got 95%
I think I could keep on doing testing and getting this random pattern.
I seem to recall there is a deeper (long?) reset with this router where you hold the Reset button for an even longer period of time, which I would be keen to try.
Does any know that this time frame to the button is. Any other ideas thoughts or ideas appreciated!
Cheers

TGoddard
07-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Sounds like the router hardware is faulty. I hope it's still under warantee!

Call the people you bought it from and ask for advice. If they tell you to upgrade firmware, do so. Otherwise, send it back for a replacement.

notechyet
08-10-2006, 05:49 AM
redbeard45
Hello
I had the same thing in the last couple of weeks.
2 computers, one on the cable to the WAG54G and the other on wireless.
I meant to try a different cable but didn't get to it and it has stopped now without doing anything???

Not much of an advice??

Gion:blush:

redbeard45
16-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Sounds like the router hardware is faulty. I hope it's still under warantee!

Call the people you bought it from and ask for advice. If they tell you to upgrade firmware, do so. Otherwise, send it back for a replacement.

__________________________________________________ _______
The wireless part of the first one died after 3 months and it was replaced after a long wait. This one is well out of warranty. Re upgrading - unfortunately, I don't have a windows laptop with wireless to update the warranty - I can only connect to it with wireless and only upgrade with a PC laptop.
Thanks for your thoughts