PDA

View Full Version : A comment....not a complaint

JJJJJ
07-10-2006, 05:42 AM
Been playing with MS Office pro. From the PC World DVD.

I'm afraid that this program is way over my head. I can't offer any comment on the quality or otherwise. I can't understand it.

Took half a day just to work out how to write a simple letter in Word

Still haven't figured out how to check my bank statement in Exel.

So I guess I'll be useing 2000 for a while yet.

Just wondering how many people need or use just a small fraction of the features.

Speedy Gonzales
07-10-2006, 05:48 AM
Sounds like what u have to do, after u apply for a job where I am.

You have to complete a small test in Excel and Word.

I see no point in doing either, since not many people use either at work anyway lol. Its a pointless excercise.

What version of Office are u talking about 2003? 2007?

chiefnz
07-10-2006, 06:49 AM
How do you expect to learn anything if you give up after the 1st few tries.

Yes sometimes software vendors do things with their apps which don't exactly make sense and invariably end users always say that things can be improved. Just because you find it hard to use a software package doesn't neccessarily mean it is badly desgined.

It's the same with the Windows Vs Linux story, most people don't like Linux because they say that it's hard to use and doesn't work like Windows.... little do they realise that that's exactly the point Linux isn't Windows, why would you expect it to look and work exactly the same. Although Linux has alot of features similar to Windows (in most cases more) the only way to really evaluate a package is to use it for an extended period doing the things you would normally do with a similar package.

cheers

chiefnz

pctek
07-10-2006, 06:56 AM

Just wondering how many people need or use just a small fraction of the features.

Probably very few. But MS has to justify getting you to fork out more money....

dolby digital
07-10-2006, 08:16 AM

Try OpenOffice.org instead (who said that :D )

Of course, you have Office 2000, so you don't need it.

Didn't MS redesign Office 2007 to be easier to use (it just failed the JJJJJ user test!)

Scouse
07-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Hi JJJJ. Get yourself along to your local SeniorNet club. Starting age 55 but we have a 90 year old active member and most seem to be in their seventies. The tutors wil be your own age. Highly recommended.

SurferJoe46
07-10-2006, 09:12 AM
I'm 60+ and I refuse to try to learn all the newer-easier stuff in any of the M$ Office suite(s).....just too intimidating and I used Office 2000Pro...hated it.

Open Office is so much easier and it can do anything that M$ can do...only it won't make you feel stupid. There...I said it.

JJJJJ
07-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi JJJJ. Get yourself along to your local SeniorNet club. Starting age 55 but we have a 90 year old active member and most seem to be in their seventies. The tutors wil be your own age. Highly recommended.

A year or two (or three) ago I spoke to someone from senior net, She said they had 486's and were running win95.
I lost interest. Perhaps things have changed.

pcuser42
07-10-2006, 09:21 AM
I use Office 2007 and I love it! New formats, easier to use etc. (Mind you, I am 13!)

Billy T
07-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Well thank you for that Scouse!! Knowing that I qualify for SeniorNet membership has thoroughly rooted my weekend. :mad:

I think I'll just go crawl under a rock someplace and wait for one of the available Gods to come and get me (I can't have offended all of them yet).

Cheers

Billy 8-{(

Scouse
07-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi JJJJ. Quote: A year or two (or three) ago I spoke to someone from senior net, She said they had 486's and were running win95.
I know how you feel. It seems just like a year or two (or three) ago that I was delighted to get my first copy of Windows 3.1 - but the world does move on.

Hi Billy. It does catch up with you. Yesterday I attended a meeting of our local Probus - of which I am not a member - to listen to an eminent urologist Patrick Meffan speak about "old mens' problems". That certainly was the stuff to make anyone want to crawl under a rock someplace. I've almost been frightened to take a leak since.

dolby digital
07-10-2006, 12:19 PM
I use Office 2007 and I love it! New formats, easier to use etc. (Mind you, I am 13!)

Bill Gates will give you a big star (to wear on your chest)... hows that then.