PDA

View Full Version : Video Conferencing Solution required

echothreezero
06-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi,

My boss wants to video conference with his Auckland colleagues. Someone told him about Skype and now my job is to make it all work (lucky me - I'm actually not trained in computing, its not in my job description, I'm just the only one in the office who knows more than how to play solitaire) jks.

Anywho, Skype sounds like the devil if you believe everything you read (it uses bandwidth for other users, intrudes through your firewall to do so etc) so as far as I'm concerned it's no good as we need to be secure.

If it costs more than the cost of a decent webcam and mic the idea is out as he doesn't want to spend too much money.

So, what free options do I have to get him all set for video conferencing??

Any help much appreciated - you might just help me get that "oh-so-sought-after" promotion lol.

Speedy Gonzales
06-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Use MSN or Yahoo. Yahoo lets u conference. Only thing is, its got bots all over the place.

Skype is free, but dont know if u can conference without paying. Never had it long enough to find out.

allanwalker
04-02-2008, 07:15 PM
[spam]

Metla
04-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Your product sucks balls.

SolMiester
04-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi,

My boss wants to video conference with his Auckland colleagues. Someone told him about Skype and now my job is to make it all work (lucky me - I'm actually not trained in computing, its not in my job description, I'm just the only one in the office who knows more than how to play solitaire) jks.

Anywho, Skype sounds like the devil if you believe everything you read (it uses bandwidth for other users, intrudes through your firewall to do so etc) so as far as I'm concerned it's no good as we need to be secure.

If it costs more than the cost of a decent webcam and mic the idea is out as he doesn't want to spend too much money.

So, what free options do I have to get him all set for video conferencing??

Any help much appreciated - you might just help me get that "oh-so-sought-after" promotion lol.

Not just that, it can use your pc\server as a relay for other calls....Truely, DONT use skype in a professional environment.

You havent mentioned what sort of internet connectivity you use, normal DSL is only 128up, so if anyone else jumps on the net, receives a big e-mail, updates A/V etc, the video conference will turn into groundhog day when the talking has to repeat himself.

Video conferencing isnt something to be taken lightly, if you boss really wants to enjoy the benefits of video conf etc, he should invest in a professional system compatible with your network connectivity or else it will just piss him off and you can kiss your promotion goodbye!

Metla
04-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Not just that, it can use your pc\server as a relay for other calls....Truely, DONT use skype in a professional environment.

You havent mentioned what sort of internet connectivity you use, normal DSL is only 128up, so if anyone else jumps on the net, receives a big e-mail, updates A/V etc, the video conference will turn into groundhog day when the talking has to repeat himself.

Video conferencing isnt something to be taken lightly, if you boss really wants to enjoy the benefits of video conf etc, he should invest in a professional system compatible with your network connectivity or else it will just piss him off and you can kiss your promotion goodbye!

06-10-2006

SolMiester
04-02-2008, 07:31 PM
?? Metla

Metla
04-02-2008, 07:33 PM
?? Metla

06-10-2006

Metla
04-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Just pointing out the thread is an oldish one, bumped by a spam whore.

Granted your info is good, Just thought you might like to know its not a current question.

SolMiester
04-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Oh ****, nappy brain!!!