PDA

View Full Version : Can't start or uninstall IE 5.5

Robin S_
06-10-2006, 02:29 AM
I am working on a cptr running Win 95B and IE 5.5 (SP2 I think). Windows recently fell over (reputedly it wasn't pushed) but I suspected a registry problem and fortunately found some old registry data files that had been saved some time back. Installation of these got Windows to crank up again, but with a few problems. I have sorted some of them but IE won't start (it just does nothing) and Desktop icons can't be moved. According to M$ this indicates a problem with shlwapi.dll. Their 1st fix (kb 174549) involves using files recovered from the uninstall folder but is apparently for about v. 4.0 and doesn't work. Their 2nd solution involves extracting files from one of the .cab files but extract.exe reports something to the effect of "unknown compression type" and doesn't work. Another fix is to uninstall IE 5.5 and reinstall, but Remove programmes reports "Can't load Setupwbv.dll" and doesn't work - nor does the fix for that in kb 192591 because it involves extracting from an IE 5.5 cab file. I have 2 questions -
1. Does anyone know how to extract from IE 5.5 cab files?
2. Since I can't uninstall I am tempted to do an over-the-top install of IE 5.5 followed by immediate uninstall then reinstall - does anyone know if this works for IE 5.5? It is said to work for some programmes and has been suggested.

One solution would be to back up, reformat and reinstall everything but I am hoping to avoid this. Any solutions would be appreciated.

TIA

drcspy
06-10-2006, 06:49 AM
just try reinstalling IE without bothering to unistall it first.....if this doesn't help then you may need to run a 'repair' install of windoze......

tweak'e
06-10-2006, 09:14 AM
try a repair of IE first. if that fails you can use IEradicator to rip out IE all together.

Robin S_
06-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Drcspy - thanks, that is what I am considering
Tweak'e - thanks, but I can't do an IE repair as that is accessed through the Remove button, which won't work. Will look for IEradicator.

Any more offerings?

tweak'e
06-10-2006, 01:51 PM
if i remeber correctly their is a repair optoin accessable through the tool bar in ms info. <run> type msinfo32

Robin S_
12-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Reporting back - partly as feedback and partly to help anyone else who might strike this problem and do a search on Pf1 for info. Win 95 does not include msinfo.exe but copying the Win 98 file does, and this gave me the repair option as suggested by Tweak'e, but it threw up ye old 'Can't load setupwbv.exe' and wouldn't work. I resorted to IEradicate which vapourised
IE in about 1.5 seconds! IEradicate left some files (? all of them) in the IE folder (which also contained a subfolder containing IE 5.5 SP2 which I assumed had previously been run), so I attempted to reinstall IE 5.5 by running iesetup.exe from the IE folder but that didn't work because partway through the installation it reported that it needed to download some setup files from the download site. Brilliant!! I needed to install IE so that I could set up internet access and it tells me that it needs to be on the net before it can do the installation. By then I was getting close to performing self-inflicted baldness, but after a cooling down period I went tooling around in the SP2 folder and found a folder called IE 5.5 Setup Full which contained
an ie5setup.exe file of the same size as the one in the IE folder but had a different date. I tried running that and lo! - ie 5.5 installed. So if anyone else encounters this problem, do a search for copies of ie5setup.exe in different locations and try them.

BTW. For the benefit of anyone else wishing to install or reinstall IE 5.5, the original version is no longer available but 5.5 SP2 is and can be used to install a full version without having an earlier one to update.

Thanks for the help, folks.

drcspy
12-10-2006, 04:07 AM
it's available........

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=msie

pcuser42
12-10-2006, 06:31 AM
Upgrade the entire PC to Windows 98. Then do what you like. :D