PDA

View Full Version : LAPTOP TYPES NUMBERS INSTEAD OF LETTERS

ness_2
05-10-2006, 01:11 PM
Hi my Lenovo laptop is typing numbers in place of some letters. This problem occured after a page in google didnt display properly and then said it had to download a chinese language pack to display the page properly. After this the letters starting to come out as numbers and i have no idea how to remove the language pack that i downloaded. Any help would be appreciated
Cheers ness_2

linw
05-10-2006, 01:58 PM
You could try using XP's System Restore - that is if your system has it operating! It can be good for 'winding back the clock'. Go to start/help and support/pick a task/restore then choose a date prior to the download.

You could also look at Control Panel/Regional and Language settings. You might well see the wrong language there and/or boxes checked for asian languages that you should uncheck.

Lizard
05-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi my Lenovo laptop is typing numbers in place of some letters. This problem occured after a page in google didnt display properly and then said it had to download a chinese language pack to display the page properly. After this the letters starting to come out as numbers and i have no idea how to remove the language pack that i downloaded. Any help would be appreciated
Cheers ness_2

It sounds like the number lock is on. If you look at the keys, you should see that in addition to letters, some also have numbers. Try turning the number lock off.

bk T
05-10-2006, 04:10 PM
As Lizard suggested, I am also in the opinion that your Number lock is ON. Look at your user Manual and turn OFF the Number Lock.

Good Luck

ness_2
06-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Hi guys thanks for all the fast replies. After turning my laptop on yesterday to fix it ,everything seemed to be running fine.
I have no explanation why it corrected itself ? I had checked that the numlock wasn;t turned on prior to posting in here. The system restore wouldn't let me do a thing either. After googling a post came up with the same problem but the problem with her laptop causing the numbers was the bios . Could this be causing my laptop to do haywire things ? thanks cheers ness

Graham L
06-10-2006, 01:58 PM
The BIOS might have a setting to provide Num Lock on or off at start up, but that's usually for full size keyboards, and allows for preferred use of the numeric keypad.

The Num Lock key (like Shift, CapsLock, SysReq, Scroll Lock, and Pause) does not directly do anything. It sends a code, just like any other key, and software does the rest.

If the system has "randomly" decided that Num Lock is wanted, this is the sort of thing which is often cured by use of the power switch. :D It doesn't always work, but it often does, when more complicated and technical "cures" don't.

SolMiester
06-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Erh, you must have hit the 'FN' & num lock to activate the key pad on the keyboard....Catches my boss everytime, especially when he locks his password on login!!

Graham L
06-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Aha, the plot thickens. If you need to use the (laptop) Fn key as well as the Num Lock key to toggle the state, that could trap many young players (and many not so young). ;) (The LED indicators are also software driven, so they can in rare cases show the wrong condition and lead to confusion and bad language).