PDA

View Full Version : PCI Wireless card - purchasing advice

echothreezero
05-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi,

We have decided to make the leap to broadband at home. We have just purchased a linksys all-in-one broadband modem, router, wireless access point. I do not have the model number handy, but being linksys and brand new, I'm sure it has all the required bells and whistles.

My question is, which PCI card should I buy for my desktop PC to access the wireless network. I have no idea what features I need, or which brands to avoid.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm a confident ishopper, so feel free to post up estore links if relevant.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
05-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Get anything thats got encryption better than WEP (WPA/WPA2/WPA PSK).

Hopefully the router supports WPA/WPA2/WPA PSK.

CYaBro
05-10-2006, 05:39 PM
If your wireless router is Linksys I would buy a Linksys PCI card just for best compatability.
It's not a requirement, as they are all based on the 802.11b/g standard, but I have had some problems in the past mixing different brands on the same wireless network.

~Mandy~
05-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi,
What version of Windows are u running? I couldnt get a DSE 802.11g WLAN (PCI) card working in two Win98se pcs this week. Not sure but I think they were just too old for it even tho the specs said the card was compatable with 98se.

echothreezero
06-10-2006, 07:39 AM
I'm running Windows XP Pro SP1. Will upgrade to SP2 once this broadband is up and running!

The ADSL/wireles gateway has a built-in firewall and supports WPA encryption (not sure which version). If the recommendation is to buy a linksys card, can anyone advise me of good place to buy one form?

echothreezero
06-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Thankyou for your help. I ended up buying a linksys card. RRp at DSE was $124. I managed to get it for $85 and 3yr warranty from a friend in the IT sector which included a nice cut for him.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
06-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Just make sure if and when u update to SP2, u scan for Spyware/malware.

Or else you'll have probs.

echothreezero
06-10-2006, 03:31 PM
before or after I update? why is that? should I just forget about updating to SP2?

Sorry - I used to be very au-fait with all this - in fact I used to be an old member on these boards with a long history of helping people - in fact I wrote some of the FAQ's, but I've been out of IT (and off these boards) for 4-5 years and so far behind it's scary.

Speedy Gonzales
06-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Before u update to SP2.

SP2 can make XP reboot continuously, if it picks up any nasties AFTER SP2 has been installed.

No SP2 is fine, it just doesn't like a system thats full of spyware.