PDA

View Full Version : McAfee: Vista insecure; Microsoft locking out other vendors' security products

Chris Keall
05-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Details here (http://pcworld.co.nz).

pctek
06-10-2006, 07:55 PM
The more I read about it the less I want to have anything to do with it.....

Greven
06-10-2006, 09:52 PM
After seeing Mcafee's attempt at a security centre, I would be willing to accept Microsoft forcing AV companies to use their interface.

The mcafee security centre constantly pops up windows asking you to buy more Mcafee software.

Edit: Sorry, got my articles confused. I think they made a mistake here - hackers have already proven they can get in, so Microsoft are only locking out the "good" guys.

Metla
06-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Never been a fan of Mcrapfee, Though I installed it one request for a client, and then was bombarded with phone calls from them asking why the secrity centre was spaming them with other products.

Though as per the design, The person involved was certain they now needed these extra modules and convinced they were part of the package and I just hadn't installed them.

After a dozen phonecalls the person ended up buying them all (against my advice, but they were the paranoid sort) and doubling up on his security apps and still getting spam from the pos security centre.

System loaded with performance killing bloatware/adware and they paid for the privlidge.

Add that to the amount of systems I have had to repair for simple infections that Mcarfee couldn't handle, The absolute crap interface and the piss-poor capabilities (my god their firewall is a joke) and you have a killer package.

Its one saving grace is that while it tries hard, Its still not quite as soul destroying as Nortons.

powertron
09-10-2006, 05:35 AM
Melta, what is it with you and infractions??
Your post was Not insulting, just an Opinion.
Whatever happened to freedom of speach??

powertron
09-10-2006, 05:45 AM
And by the way, I Agree with you 100%.
I had 'McAfee AV' installed once, and all it caused was system problems.
I scanned and scanned and it found nothing (although I Knew there was a problem).
I uninstalled it and installed Avast. Avast removed 2 Worms, 5 Trojans, and numerous other infections, now everything is running great.
I have no faith in McAfee, but I suppose one mans meat is another mans poison, some ppl will find it of great use, but I Never did.

pcuser42
09-10-2006, 06:52 AM
My Dell came pre-installed with McAfee, when my subscription ran out I replaced it with the free Avira (thanks to PC World). :thumbs:

Greg
09-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Melta, what is it with you and infractions??
Your post was Not insulting, just an Opinion.
Whatever happened to freedom of speach??It's just a signature copied from his private messages from previous infractions.

powertron
09-10-2006, 07:58 AM
um ok, thnx Greg:thumbs:

pctek
09-10-2006, 08:06 AM
I think you guys are missing something.
Its not about McAfee or Symantec, its MS saying you will use only our product and not anyone elses.
If it locks out McAfees you think it allows any other vendors? Like NOD32?