PDA

View Full Version : SLI Query

DeSade
04-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Am I better to upgrade my video card
GeForce 6700 GT

Or

Buy another one and set up a SLI system?

Which will give me the better result?

Jams
04-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Am I better to upgrade my video card
GeForce 6700 GT

Or

Buy another one and set up a SLI system?

Which will give me the better result?

by 6700GT, do you mean a 6600GT, or a 7600GT ?. as i dont think there is such thing as a 6700. (i may be wrong)

getting video cards in SLI is nice, and has a massive "wank" factor, but having 2 cards in SLI doesnt preform the same as 2 Cards stuck together, as in, its not true performance that you would expect from 2 cards.

for example, if you get 2 6600GT's in SLI, it still wont out preform a single 6800GT, im not sure how its changed now though.

oh, and a little more info will be needed, as in, what is your CPU, RAM like, and what is your current Vid Card. you dont wont to find out that you upgraded your card, and realise that you still get poor performance in games due to your RAM and CPU being in-adequate..

DeSade
04-10-2006, 04:19 PM
I could be wrong with the numbers but they don't really matter.
What I needed to know was the best upgrade path

better single card
or sli setup

AMD dual 64 3800+
1 gig system ram

Jams
04-10-2006, 04:21 PM
I could be wrong with the numbers but they don't really matter.
What I needed to know was the best upgrade path

better single card
or sli setup

don't be like that. It depends on what card you have, and what card your lookign at getting.

example. if you own a 6600GT and get another in SLI, then of course, a single 7900GT will be better.

but if you are going from a single 6600GT, to say, a single 6800GS or something (yeah, they are still around) the in my opinion, 2 6600GTs in SLI would be better. But still crap.

DeSade
04-10-2006, 04:25 PM
I edited when I saw the request for more info
the geforce card I am not sure if its not 6700 then I am sorry but I don't know.
6600 doesn't look right and I am sure its not a 7???

DeSade
04-10-2006, 04:32 PM
I would certainly move into the 7??? range with the upgrade probably a 78 or 79

Jams
04-10-2006, 04:35 PM
I edited when I saw the request for more info
the geforce card I am not sure if its not 6700 then I am sorry but I don't know.
6600 doesn't look right and I am sure its not a 7???

ah ok. My bad. Your CPU and RAM are pretty Good.
just googled, and it looks like their is such thing as a 6700GT :\, my bad again, had no idea. haha.

unfortunatly there is no specs on google displaying what the 6700 Has in terms of pipelines.

But, i think its an easy desicion, seeing as no shops in new zealand list a 6700GT (via pricespy.co.nz), your going to be hard pushed to get another one for SLI, so you will be better off getting One better card.

Pete O'Neil
04-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Personally i think SLI is the biggest gimmick ever invented, not only do you need 2 video cards but you also need a SLI motherboard and more powerful PSU, which both cost more than standard non-SLI gear. Maybe if the performance was good enough to warrent the added cost i would support it but its not!

Let assume you build a new PC and buy a SLI motherboard and one video card with the intention of buying a second video card at a later date. New video cards are released so often that by the time you come to upgrade (let say 6months after initial purchase?) chances are good that there will be a new video card that offer roughly twice the performance of your current video card for the price you originally payed. Buying a second video card becomes pointless when for the same price you can get a single video card solution with less heat and power usage. You also get to sell your original card secondhand which probably means that the new generation card is now effectively the same price as buying a new old generation card.

If you have a SLI motherboard and a PSU powerful enough for 2 video cards then it might be a viable option for yoo, especially if you can get a second card super cheap. A quick PriceSpy query shows a new 6600GT for $181.00 while a 7600GT is $294.00. So if you sold your 6600GT on TradeMe for $100, you'd only have to find roughly the same ammount required to buy a new 6600GT, but with the money you made from the sale of your 6600GT you could buy a 7600GT.

So unless you've got far too much money (if thats the case im willing to help you with some of that money :) ) SLI is a waste of money and effort.

DeSade
04-10-2006, 09:36 PM
I just checked and I do have a 7600 not a 6 like I thought so thats probably good enough for now :)
Thanks for the replies