PDA

View Full Version : CRC incorectly reporting errors

Ire
04-10-2006, 12:43 AM
When i try and install programs or aplications and it comes to a .bat file, ect. It tells me the file is corupt when i know it isnt, does anyone know whats wrong with it or how to fix it?

TGoddard
04-10-2006, 11:52 AM
What installer system is being used? Is this for one installer or a whole set of different ones? Are you just installing the software or making an installer for software? Your post tells us next to nothing - we can't help without information!

Ire
04-10-2006, 01:02 PM
When it comes to a .bat file, ect. Whilst im installing software, eg- a game, itunes or other sort of aplications. The CRC tells me the file is corupt, i know its not corupt media because i've tryed installing these same programs on other computers and it worked fine. And its always files like .bat.

godfather
04-10-2006, 03:26 PM
The batch file just installs the other (larger) files, any CRC error at this point usually means you have defective RAM in the PC.

Ire
04-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Sorry guys i meant .cab not .bat

Speedy Gonzales
04-10-2006, 07:58 PM
You're not another user, who's using a motherboard with this Nvidia firewall are you?? if u r, thats whats causing these errors.

Ire
04-10-2006, 08:29 PM
i dont think my motherboard (VIA KT400) has built in firewall. im very sure of that.

TGoddard
04-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Try reinstalling the Windows installer if you can (I can't test it here).

Ire
04-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Ok i reinstalled the Windows installer, didn't work.

drcspy
05-10-2006, 12:10 AM
run a ram tester, memtest86 or windiag, and also run a manufacturers diagnostic on your harddrive....

jesse_jax
05-10-2006, 07:50 PM
yeah crc is good, wheres the rust sorry?

:D

Graham L
06-10-2006, 12:37 PM
GF's suggestion of bad memory is still valid: the mention of .BAT files perplexed me. ;)

CRC errors are very often an indicator of bad memory. Downloads should produce an error message if something has gone amiss in the transfer; reading a disk should give a disk error message. .CAB files are compressed, and carry a CRC (cyclic redundancy check) code which is compared with the result of a calculation carried out by the decompression utility. Decompression requires a perfect file. If the file (as "seen" by the utility) isn't exactly correct, you will get a "CRC error". The commonest cause of that is bad memory. It might mean that the decompression is using memory areas which isn't usually in use (.CAB files are often big -- that's why they are compressed) or areas which usually just contain (and corrupt) data, which frequently does no harm, except causing programmes to give wrong answers. :groan: If you are lucky, it will crash the OS. :D

So test the memory.