PDA

View Full Version : Desktop shortcuts

kjaada
03-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Could I get a brief outline on how desktop shortcuts operate.
I think I read that they should be kept to a minimum as they affect speed.Also is it any better to put shortcuts on the taskbar instead of the desktop.

drcspy
03-10-2006, 08:39 AM
I make a folder in somewhere like 'my documents' or similar and label it 'TIDY BIN' you can call it what you like.....then drag the shortcuts into it using a RIGHT mouse clik...when you release the mouse button you'll get a menu use the 'move here' function....then after doing that ....drag the folder using the same method onto the quick launch bar (taskbar) and use the 'make shortcut' function....that means that you can have all your shortcuts and other stuff from the desktop, or anything else you want very easily accessible from a single clik on the taskbar shortcut icon and not cluttering up the desktop.....works very well...

TGoddard
03-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Desktop shortcuts shouldn't substantially slow down any system. They're just special files containing a reference to some other program.

Greg
03-10-2006, 03:32 PM
That makes opening any app two clicks more than is required if just using a desktop shortcut. Kinda defeats the object of having shortcuts, unless as was asked it somehow improves the PC's performance by removing them from the desktop.