PDA

View Full Version : Slow running/phantom CPU usage after hibernation

Jamezo
02-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Whenever I come out of hibernation, even if I'm doing nothing, Task Manager - > Performance reports the CPU running at ~60% idling, with a corresponding performance hit.

Perplexingly, the processes display shows no processes using that processing, and a 98% idle process. (unless I'm doing something mildly taxing, then it displays a proportionate usage of the little remaining power, ie. 70% on Winamp, and 100% usage reported on the Performance view...)

This happens even after disabling startup processes, and hibernating/de-hibernating from a clean boot.

If it makes a difference, it's an AMD 64 3200+, running XP Pro SP2. I'm well and truly stumped, thanks in advance.

godfather
02-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Desktop hardware (most particularly the drivers used I suspect) were usually never designed for hibernation/standby.

Its a mode designed for laptop hardware, it's useable on some desktop hardware, though none of the last 11 PC's here have been reliable after using it.

Your mileage may vary. If it works, it's OK. If it doesn't, try different drivers, but don't expect a lot.

Jamezo
02-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Oh, this is a recent development, I have successfully hibernated for a long time, and I haven't changed any drivers.

godfather
03-10-2006, 07:34 AM
But I bet there have been some Windows updates, that can change the basic underlying actions.

Hence my comments, on a desktop PC it's never a stable mode in my experience. You are using the devices outside their comfort zone and there is little in the way of diligence to ensure hibernation/standby modes is maintained by Windows and drivers for non laptop hardware.