PDA

View Full Version : problem with device drivers

starrekin61
02-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi. I have a problem concerning my device drivers - everytime, I install a device - printer, camera, etc. I have to reinstall drivers for my pci controller, which is being run through the usb port (no network card installed). Any ideas what is causing this problem? could it be the mobo?
I have 98 installed and can not update. thanks

pctek
02-10-2006, 01:30 PM
- everytime, I install a device - printer, camera, etc. I have to reinstall drivers for my pci controller, which is being run through the usb port (no network card installed). s

What exactly do you mean by a PCI controller running through USB?

You don't mean a USB hub do you?
If so, you need to connect the new device directly to USB, skipping the hub, then install its driver, then connect it to the hub after, otherwise WIndows doesn't know where it is initially.

And is it Win98 1st Edition or 2nd Edition?
If its 1st - forget it, go and upgrade.

starrekin61
02-10-2006, 01:38 PM
it's directly through the usb ports, and yes, it's 1st edition. forget about upgrading - I can't afford it.

pctek
02-10-2006, 03:58 PM
it's directly through the usb ports, and yes, it's 1st edition. forget about upgrading - I can't afford it.

Whats directly through?
What exactly happens? You install say, your new USB printer......which is plugged into its OWN usb port, right??
Then what happens?

Win98 1st is usable but I reinstalled one yesterday with some problems.
The install went ok, but then the minute I tried installing things like antivirus, firewall etc it complained and wanted updated system files.
Did that, and then the next thing I installed....and so on. It was a big pain in the rear.

And for whatever reason it has a weird issue with the bindings in Networking which peridoically decide they aren't bound anymore.

I didn't mean to upgrade your entire PC - but if you can get hold of Win98 SE then that would help immensely.
Trademe maybe?

tweak'e
02-10-2006, 05:07 PM
I have to reinstall drivers for my pci controller, which is being run through the usb port (no network card installed).

??? no such thing as a pci controller running through USB.

you can get USB pci card, is that what your refering to.
if so, some printers do not like running through some pci USB cards.

is the motherboard drivers installed? what ones are you useing?

drcspy
03-10-2006, 04:11 AM
hey pctek........i saw something on grc.com about this: "weird issue with the bindings in Networking which peridoically decide they aren't bound anymore."

sorry lost the link just now....but they had a fix..

starrekin61
03-10-2006, 05:57 AM
cable modem directly plugged into system through usb port.
printer through printer port - not usb. to use printer, must disable cable modem.
if u can find article on lost bindings - well, maybe that's the problem.
no, i can't get hold of 98se, either. i have 2000 - but i can't get it to install correctly either.
thanx for the help.
i think that the problem may be with the mobo itself. will check and let u know what i have. thanks.:badpc: