PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP page file

dolby digital
01-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi all,

I have in my possession a ShuttleX pc, AMD Athlon 64 with 512MB and Windows XP Home. Now when I got it, explorer would crash soon after the desktop was displayed after logging in and the pc was unusable. Now after reloading XP Home, it is at least running but displays an interesting "problem". The page file just gets bigger and bigger until it hits around 1.92GB and then programs start getting upset (then XP becomes unusable :eek: ).

I'm thinking its a renegade program although it could be XP itself although I have reloaded it once already.

Some of the errors appeared to be memory related so I did a MEMTEST and it reported it is fine.

tweak'e
01-10-2006, 05:22 PM
after reloading XP Home repair or format/install ?

TGoddard
01-10-2006, 05:57 PM
You probably have a runaway process with a very serious memory leak. Can you tell us what you have running?

dolby digital
01-10-2006, 07:50 PM
repair or format/install ?
Repair. Format/install will come later...

dolby digital
01-10-2006, 07:53 PM
You probably have a runaway process with a very serious memory leak. Can you tell us what you have running?
I ended up killing processes to see if it would stop the steady increasing page file but nothing stopped it. No applications are running other than the background processes and whats in the system tray.

tweak'e
01-10-2006, 08:06 PM
could even be a driver issue.

does it do it in safe mode ?

dolby digital
01-10-2006, 08:38 PM
could even be a driver issue.

does it do it in safe mode ?
Actually no it doesn't.

It suddenly started doing it about 10 days ago. Its was riddled with spyware but I've got rid of most of that but the page problem remains.

More details... once it gets to the 2GB page file, the CPU will hit 100% but no processes appear to be taking the 100% (or close to it) which make me wonder if its near to the kernel level (full reinstall :stare: )

tweak'e
01-10-2006, 09:33 PM
whats the page file settings?

it sounds like there is still some crud running. start checking every file it loads on startup.

also is the harddrive ntfs or fat32?

supergran
02-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Off topic sort of, but where do I find the page swap file, and what should it be set at for a compaq preserio amd athlon 2400+ 2.00ghz with 480 ram, which should be 512 ram I guess.

Ever since a so called computer tech at a shop fitted a 512 stick of ram, causing no end of problems for about 2 weeks, and finally fitted one that stopped eating parts of XP, I reckon my computer is slower, and the cpu jams at 100% pretty often, so was wondering, if it could be the page swap thingy causing it. Anything is worth looking at, cos I sure am not taking it back to THAT shop.

dolby digital
02-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Off topic sort of, but where do I find the page swap file, and what should it be set at for a compaq preserio amd athlon 2400+ 2.00ghz with 480 ram, which should be 512 ram I guess.

Ever since a so called computer tech at a shop fitted a 512 stick of ram, causing no end of problems for about 2 weeks, and finally fitted one that stopped eating parts of XP, I reckon my computer is slower, and the cpu jams at 100% pretty often, so was wondering, if it could be the page swap thingy causing it. Anything is worth looking at, cos I sure am not taking it back to THAT shop.

By default XP is set to handle the page file itself and normally you don't worry about it (except in my case where the page file goes bananas ;) ). Do all the spyware etc removal stuff first. If its still hitting 100% cpu quite frequently, (which it could be doing quite legitimately), try and identify the process through task manager.

tweak'e
02-10-2006, 08:48 PM
By default XP is set to handle the page file itself
no it dos not.

by default XP set min and max size on install. any change of ram (mainly if you add ram) requires a change of page file settings. XP has an optoin for the OS to manage it, but you have to set it to that its not automatic.

supergran
03-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Ok, so if I want to check to make sure the haha technician changed that, where do I find it.

supergran
04-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Please someone tell me, where can I change the page swap file settings, or at least make sure they are set to automatic.

drcspy
04-10-2006, 11:35 AM
controlpanel/system/advanced/performance/advanced/virtualmemory- change

then change the size and dont forget to clik the 'set' button.......

I usually set the min/max to 1024 if you have 512mb ....works perfectly for me

tweak'e
04-10-2006, 12:02 PM
ditto above....however set it to auto, se what windows sets it to then use those fiqures to set the min max setings.

a fixed size is better than auto.

supergran
04-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Ok, is the auto the 'system managed size', cos if so, it says 718 for recommended, but present is 720. Have to reboot, then see what it says, if same, I will change it to 1024 and see what happens. Thanks.

supergran
04-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Ok, done that, and it still says "total paging file size for all drives'
Minimum718 mb
Recommended 718 mb
Currently allocated 719 mb, and that is with me changing it to custom, and putting in 1024. Beats me, doesn't look like it is going to change for me.