PDA

View Full Version : Is there any software that will...

Bellzy
01-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Hello all i have got an fairly old pc and i have to reformate it every month as it goes so slow it takes half an hour to fully load up. I was just woundering if there is any software out there that will speed it up a little bit? Any help is greatly appreciated

Bellzy :horrified :help: :thumbs:

B.M.
01-10-2006, 07:48 AM
Can you give some more details like make, model, operating system, amount of RAM, CPU speed etc. ;)

Jen
01-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Welcome to PressF1

What are the specifications (eg CPU speed, RAM amount) of the computer? What is the operating system eg Win98SE?

Without knowing what your current RAM amount is, adding more RAM is normally one way of improving its performance.

As for a software fix, depending upon the current OS and machine specifications you would be better off chosing software for your general usage of the computer that is more suited to lower spec'd machines. Don't use software which is known to be resource intensive. What is the computer mainly used for?

Installing a specific program to speed up your computer is unlikely to help much.

Bellzy
01-10-2006, 08:01 AM
hello

my pc spec is
701 Mhz Intel celeron processor

128 MB of ram

Windows XP pro

58 Gb mem

cant really spend anything on it

cheers :help: :stare:

kjaada
01-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Yr machine is at the very bottom of what will run XP.
Rather than a reformat do you run disk clean up and defragment and
most of all remove all but yr last restore point before you try reformat.
Reformat seems a bit drastic to get more speed if everything works well
after the reformat then some of the things mentioned above should help
but more ram is required for XP really.

Jen
01-10-2006, 08:28 AM
I can see why you are having problems with performance on that machine.

I would look around for some 2nd hand RAM, you would need about 3 times the amount you have currently at a minimum (add another 256 MB) which would allow for shared video RAM which I am guessing you also have.

If getting more RAM is not an option, then do you have an older operating system you can install instead of XP? Are you also using XP in the classic mode which is without the fancy appearance? Classic mode resembles the appearance of Win2000/98 for the menus and explorer.

Are you only installing the bare minimum of extra software you need on that machine? Are you also at least using XPs inbuilt firewall and an antivirus program? Failing to do so will result in malware/viruses which will slow down the computer.

You may find this guide on Black Viper's Services Configuration (http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12) helpful to stop unnecessary services running.

There is only so much you can do with trying to run XP on 128 MB of RAM.

B.M.
01-10-2006, 08:48 AM
As has already been pointed out you really do need more RAM.

However, I have XP running on an old Compaq Proliant with 350mhz Processor and 128 meg of RAM.

Whilst it’s not exactly a rocket slid on rails it runs at a respectable speed if you don’t overtax it.

Having said that, it’s not connected to the Internet and it doesn’t have any Anti-Virus programme installed. Do you have an anti-virus programme installed? If so what brand is it? Some of those are very capable of choking a machine to death. ;)

Oh one other thing, are you using it for games? If so which ones?

kjaada
01-10-2006, 10:50 AM
If you are really stuck with yr present machine and you want a lot more versatility you really should consider a linux OS like Ubuntu which will give
you everything Windows will do but not stress out yr machine.

kjaada
01-10-2006, 11:14 AM
I have left you a Pvt message on PF1

tweak'e
01-10-2006, 12:25 PM
go find an old copy of 98se and put it on it :)

dolby digital
01-10-2006, 12:29 PM
If you are really stuck with yr present machine and you want a lot more versatility you really should consider a linux OS like Ubuntu which will give
you everything Windows will do but not stress out yr machine.
Those GUI based Linux distro's really need 256MB of RAM...

I reckon Windows 98 is an good idea.

Misty
01-10-2006, 12:54 PM
go find an old copy of 98se and put it on it :)
I have a disc sitting here which is legitimate and I do not need. On the front it says Windows 98 (Second Edition) Upgrade for users of Windows 3.1x and Windows 95.

If I were to post that in snail mail to Bellzy would it be of any help ?

I suspect he may need more and if so, will scout around my stuff for the rest.
Misty :illogical

TGoddard
01-10-2006, 02:12 PM
You could run a linux distribution with a light window manager such as fluxbox happily on that but you have _way_ too little RAM for decent performance with Windows XP. You need 256MB to get reasonable performance.

When you are low on memory the operating system pages memory to disk (windows calls this "virtual memory". Since Windows uses a file for paging rather than a dedicated partition, this can lead to heavy fragmentation of smaller hard drives. Although defragmenting disks is usually unneccesary on a modern machine, you will want to do it on a computer like that at least weekly to clean up the mess left behind.

The cheapest fix is to find how much memory the motherboard can support (probably still not much) and increase the memory as high as you can. Then again, old RAM sticks are more expensive than modern ones. Research the costs and decide whether the upgrade is worthwhile for you.

tweak'e
01-10-2006, 03:14 PM
getting more and more 2nd hand pc100/133 sdram around now so it shouldn't be to hard to find some. new pc133 ram is more expencive than DDR.

supertrouper
01-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Re-formatting hard drives is NOT normally necessary and doesn't solve the issues. I don't know why it is that people think that re-formatting is the cure-all to end all problems. It doesn't!
I think I've only had to reformat TWO drives in my entire time spent working on computers - and those were ones that had corrupt drive tables.

As mentioned elsewhere, you need to up-spec your machine. XP is hard on resources, RAM, processor etc.