PDA

View Full Version : hard drive problem

abchelpme
30-09-2006, 01:12 PM
I have this newish SATA hard drive which i installed on my computer with another ide hard drive. Now that SATA drive is having problems and i can't access anything in it. Just so i can use the computer, i've installed windows on the other (older) HD, but i can't access the SATA drive from there either.

Is there an easy way of formating the SATA drive? (so i can try to reinstall Windows on it?) the windows setup program crashes whenever it scans the drive. Or is there some program/way of seeing whether the drive has failed? (so maybe i can go and get a refund/exchange)

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
30-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Is power going to the SATA??

2 cables on the inside of the case (one for power, the other data, which is connected to the mobo, if SATA is onboard)?

abchelpme
30-09-2006, 02:18 PM
actually the drive suddenly stopped working without me having moved any of the cables. Im sure the cables are connected.

if i try booting to it now it comes up with a blue screen with the error "unmountable_boot_volume". i want to run chkdsk and fixboot on it, but somehow my windows xp cd wont' even detect/access the drive however i try so i want to see if i can format it.

Could the drive be failing?

Speedy Gonzales
30-09-2006, 02:24 PM
actually the drive suddenly stopped working without me having moved any of the cables. Im sure the cables are connected.

if i try booting to it now it comes up with a blue screen with the error "unmountable_boot_volume". i want to run chkdsk and fixboot on it, but somehow my windows xp cd wont' even detect/access the drive however i try so i want to see if i can format it.

Could the drive be failing?

Open the case and make sure both cables to / from the SATA are plugged in properly. They can come out pretty easily.

If Windows / setup isnt detecting it, this maybe why. The cables may have come out.

tweak'e
30-09-2006, 02:24 PM
you may need to load the sata drives before the windows cd will see the drive.

is the drive showing in the bios?