PDA

View Full Version : Are Liteon DVD writers a reliable make?

ssssss
30-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Am considering purchasing one on TradeMe, and I wondered if it was a good make?
Thanks

bob_doe_nz
30-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Yes they are good, Sony buy Liteons and rebadge them as Sony Brand.
Also, you can also use a utility to disable the region encoding on the DVD drive. I wont tell the location but google up LtnRPC or check out the RPC1.org forums.

Though it seems that newer versions of the DVD drives dont seem to work with it.

PaulD
30-09-2006, 10:26 AM
I recently bought a 165P6 that I'm quite happy with. Very easy to reset region counter if your DVD collection spans several regions. Expect to pay no more than $75 new with warranty. Trademe - who knows, if sec hand could be worn out after some pirate has burnt 100's of bootlegs :-)

ssssss
30-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks bob_doe_nz and PaulD,
Where would I go to get a new one at $75?
Thanks

PaulD
30-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Paradigm PCs, Ascent are a few dollars more. Both free freight.

B.M.
30-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks

Be a bit careful who you deal off on TradeMe.

I bought one of an Indian outfit (Saha & fasha or some similar name) and it was faulty. When I returned it they didn't want to know. Wound up having to just help myself to another of the shelf and leave them with the dud.

They seem to sell stuff at a good price but obviously there is no gaurantee even though they claim there is.

However, the new one is fine. Good Luck. ;)

Strommer
30-09-2006, 11:24 AM
My Liteon DVD writer crapped out two months after the warranty. At the time, I posted here on PF1 to see if it really was dead and the response (Metla?) was to stay away from Liteon. Subsequently I replaced it with a Samsung since it came with a 2 yr warranty.

Before you buy a Liteon, put the model number into Google with the word "review", or similar words. You will find specific comments from users like you and I, as well as business style commentary.

Strommer
30-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks

As BM says, be careful when buying off Trademe. Personally, I would feel better paying another $10 or so from a reliable place like PB Technology, or even :p DSE because their guarantees would be reliable. This is not to say all Trademe companies are dodgy but check how long they have been in business via Trademe (hopefully longer than 2 yrs) and then check the Trademe negative and neutral feedback.

Metla
30-09-2006, 02:33 PM
My Liteon DVD writer crapped out two months after the warranty. At the time, I posted here on PF1 to see if it really was dead and the response (Metla?) was to stay away from Liteon. Subsequently I replaced it with a Samsung since it came with a 2 yr warranty.

Me?

Hell no, Im a Lite-on fanboy,

pctek
30-09-2006, 03:20 PM
I bought one of an Indian outfit (Saha & fasha or some similar name) and it was faulty. When I returned it they didn't want to know.

farasha aka computerszone aka whatever his other name was.
Theres a thousand posts on this guy, not to mention its all over his feedback.
Can't say buyer didn't have warning.

As for Liteon they are excellent.
Samsung suck.

Strommer
30-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Mea Culpa. I checked my old thread of a year ago and it was not a Liteon that I had but an OptoWrite! Chill and Mets were (-) about Optowrites, not Liteons.
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=62572&highlight=Liteon

Strommer
30-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Samsung suck.

The reviews I read last year on Samsung DVD writers were fine - not top of the bunch but good, plus it came with a 2 yr warranty + a great price, and it has been no trouble. Anyway, don't want to hijack this LITEON thread.:o

pctek
30-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Reviews never mention lastability.

Strommer
30-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Reviews never mention lastability.

Cannot think of the correct word - what I mean is USER reviews, i.e. comments from people who use them, blog style, not magazine reviews of a new product.

heni72847
30-09-2006, 08:01 PM
i've got Lite-On SOHW-1673S and i'm pretty impressed with it
my first dvd-rw and it always works when i need it
i've had it since 6 april 2005
cost me $111.38

now you can get LiteON SHW-1635S for $60.75 at qmb
i think that model comes after the one i have
i can even cross flash mine i think...

but yea..i can say i use it quite a bit..
so.. so far so good~

Glenn
30-09-2006, 11:35 PM
newegg.com is a hugely popular online retailer that allows its customers to submit product reviews. if heaps of people are having problems with a product, it's bound to show up here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010100005+1036506653&Subcategory=5&description=&srchInDesc=

bmason
01-10-2006, 02:36 PM
I have a 1653S and would not recommend it. It is a 16x burner but no brand of DVDR tried will burn reliably above 4x.
Imation disks, a very popular brand, are unreliable even at 4x.

These days it is only another $10 for a better brand, Asus/Pioneer/etc. It will save a lot of time not having to verify every disk you burn.

Myth
01-10-2006, 06:12 PM
I bought a Liteon 1693s at the beginning of the year (January). Have used it extensively, thus far no issues whatsoever :)

ssssss
14-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks everybody for the great advice.
I have bought a Liteon drive from Paradigm and it seems to work very well.
When I saw the high specs required on the box, I got a shock, because I was going to use it on an older computer, but it seems to work fine anyway

Chilling_Silence
14-10-2006, 01:35 PM
They're even better afte a firmware upgrade, although the burn quality is pretty nice, straight outta the box.

Mine is getting a little "tired" after 6 months now, many many dvd & cd burns.

They're not quite as high-quality as my mates Asus one which just burns and burns and burns and burns and still reads perfectly, but for >$75 you simply cannot go wrong!

Check around for the latest Firmware though, it definately improves the burning quality at 8x, especially on the cheap media like Princo!