PDA

View Full Version : Returning faulting HDD...any risk?

CCF
29-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi there

I have friend computer's HDD just suddenly failed or was kill by who knew what (after a shutdown, the next boot showed "Invalid System Disk". The HDD is still under the 1yr store warranty, however due to he has some music and movies and some ISOs and some important credit information, in total only about 40GB was used out of the 120GB. Because of the stuff thats on the HDD, exactly mentioned above, would it be safe to have the HDD replace by the shop?

Thanks

bob_doe_nz
29-09-2006, 11:09 PM
If you got nothing to hide, you got nothing to lose, though the credit info does pose a little risk

The_End_Of_Reality
29-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Chuck it into another PC as a slave and see if it can pick it up, I have had luck with this... and then copy the important info off and delete it/ empty recycle bin etc

TGoddard
29-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Think along these lines:

- Who is likely to have access to the disk?
- What would they stand to gain from reading the disk? Do they know this?
- How much will it cost them to recover the data? (Hint: quite a lot)

If there is any data that he absolutely cannot risk, it may be better to dismantle the disk and physically destroy the drive platter. Otherwise, he may as well get a replacement drive :) .

If concerned, he should ask the store about their policy on dealing with faulty disks. Is it returned to the manufacturer? Is it fixed and recycled? Or is it simply thrown in a dumpster?

CCF
30-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. The credit info on the HDD is only a bit of a worry what I'm worry about is the movies and music. The copyright issue and the computer shops, what I understand or have heard is that if anything that is illegal on the computer, they will have to report it. So yeah...in this case will he need to worry?

As for the slave drive idea, the HDD is a SATA, so yeah, however I did put it in aother pc to see whether it was picked up. Sadly it did not.

Also thanks for the 'ask their policy' idea, I never knew some of they would just chuck it in the dumpster or do other stuff to it, always thought they hd some sort of deal with the manufacture, all faulty items are returned to them or something.