27-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Ubuntu uninstal

I have just deleted Ubuntu in Partion Magic didn't back

anything up! I now get the black screen not going anywhere

with the following =

GRUB Loading stage 1.5.
GRUB Loading please wait
Error 22

Its just frozen how can I get my WXP Back ?

I have tried loading my XP disc and it still comes up with the black screen error 22! I can put the Ubuntu disc in and that loads OK !

beama
27-09-2006, 09:29 PM
what you have done is removed the grub.conf file but grub bootloader is still there and it doesnt know about any os's because all that info is kept in grub.conf

but not all is lost

boot from your XP cd
and from the repair console , issue the command: fixmbr

You will need to know your "Administrator" account password for this

micky
28-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Quote = boot from your XP cd
and from the repair console , issue the command: fixmbr

I've tried that I have 3 cd's that came with my Acer laptop I put the rescue disc in only with the option reformating with original software, also tried another XP disc which tries to load a fresh install which I am afraid to run as I will lose all my data etc.

It will boot with the Ubuntu disc do I need to install it againto go back to where I was !

beama
28-09-2006, 11:34 AM
that makes it interesting (restore cd)
want was the file system on your xp os, ntfs or fat32
we may still have an option

Is there any valuable data on the xp partition
you must realize that this data is at risk no matter want you do from here on in.
you could try recover your data by using a linux live CDROM and usb pen drive

do you still want to dual boot with ubuntu and xp if so your suggestion of reinstall of ubuntu is proberly best

Pete O'Neil
28-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Just download a Win98 boot disk off the internet and do what beama suggested. All you need to do is repair the master boot record. If i remember correctly under DOS the command to repair the boot record is fdisk /mbr or something similar, you can easily find out the correct command with the DOS help function.

micky
28-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks guys I've reinstalled Ubuntu alls good!