PDA

View Full Version : Printing HTML from IE6

rookie101
24-09-2006, 09:19 PM
I am unable to print off any HTML screens from my IE6 browser. I have to convert them to text files before I can print anything. (As a conseqence I have taken up Firefox, and am loving it).

I suspect that this is only a symptom of the real problem but it is a pain. I am running Microsoft XP on Dell hardware. My real problem is that I am attempting to upgrade my Quickbooks programme (which I rely on completely) to version 2006/07 but I cannot get it to activate. I have tried all the suggestions that Quicken have made - disabling firewalls and antivirus software and getting rid of Firefox, but all to no avail. I am now convinced that it is the IE6 browser that is the problem as this version of Quickbooks seems to be even more "in bed" with IE6 than previous versions.

Anyone else come across this problem or know the probable cause?:help:

godfather
24-09-2006, 10:58 PM
When you say "unable to print HTML", can you give a clue what happens when you try?

As a random example an inkjet printer will tend to only use colour for HTML, so no output (blank pages) would occur if colour ink was out, but black would work OK from text files.

But really we need more info as to what constitutes ""unable to print"...

rookie101
25-09-2006, 10:10 AM
When I go to print the HTML page absolutely nothing happens. There is no "Print" box or anything. Effectively, the print command seems to be ignored completely.

Greg
25-09-2006, 10:14 AM
A work-around is... click on View | Source. Then copy and paste the content into a Notepad or a word proceessor document and print from there.

beama
25-09-2006, 10:48 AM
rather than copy and paste
go to "tools" menu then "interenet options" then "Programs " tab, then where it says "html editor" use the drop down to select notepad ( or any other text editor) then apply and ok out of that area. Right click , view page source and the page source will be shown in the text editor you chose in the earlier step, use the print function of that text editor.

Greg
25-09-2006, 01:30 PM
go to "tools" menu then "interenet options" then "Programs " tab, then where it says "html editor" use the drop down to select notepad ( or any other text editor) then apply and ok out of that area. Right click , view page source and the page source will be shown in the text editor you chose in the earlier step, use the print function of that text editor.Great tip.

rookie101
26-09-2006, 11:05 AM
go to "tools" menu then "interenet options" then "Programs " tab, then where it says "html editor" use the drop down to select notepad ( or any other text editor) then apply and ok out of that area. Right click , view page source and the page source will be shown in the text editor you chose in the earlier step, use the print function of that text editor.

Whatever text editor I choose under "html editor" (the options are word, excel or notepad) what I always end up with under "view source" is notepad. This seems to me to be exactly the same as converting the page in to a txt document and printing that, which is what I was doing.

Am I missing something?

rookie101
26-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Hey guys, thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, work arounds for printing are not what I am after. I think I already have those.

I believe the printing problem is only a symptom of the real problem and I have got to get this IE thingee working properly so I can activate other prgrammes that insist on using IE for that purpose.

Is there no way I can get rid of the defective IE and re-install a "clean" version of it?

beama
26-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Whatever text editor I choose under "html editor" (the options are word, excel or notepad) what I always end up with under "view source" is notepad. This seems to me to be exactly the same as converting the page in to a txt document and printing that, which is what I was doing.

Am I missing something?

maybe
Your first sentece in this thread

I am unable to print off any HTML screens from my IE6 browser.

which why I posted what I did

Html - Hyper Text Mark up Lanuage Or code (wrong term I know) that makes up the web page source

Do you want to try and repair explorer, if so there are ways.

Are you still able to use quickbooks

beama
26-09-2006, 12:29 PM
another thought
are you completly up to date with service packs

rookie101
26-09-2006, 05:52 PM
The idea of repairing IE sounds promising. Yes, I am reverting back to a previous version of Quickbooks and this should be adequate in the meantime. I am not sure just where I am with service packs for IE but I will work on this and see what comes up. It may be a day or so before I can get back to you.

By the way, one of the other symptoms I have just discovered is that I am completely unable to make use of the "smile" icons here or to utilise the "bold, underline etc" editing facilities in this screen, while using IE. I am sure I have come here using Firefox and I could use them all.

beama
26-09-2006, 06:56 PM
if you are interested in try an IE repair search this forum using that string (ie repair), that topic has been covered many times or google is a good resource when you are ready.