PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of Recent Documents

colmack
24-09-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't want my list of 'Recent Documents' to show.
I've removed it from view from the Start Menu, no problem.

But then I open up Word, go to File>Open, and there's an option to open from 'My Recent Documents', and it's the list that I want to hide!

Can I remove this view from the Word>Open dialog box? Note: I don't want to clear the history, that's easy enough, I want the history to be hidden in the first place.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Word 2003, XP Home sp2

Renmoo
24-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Hey there, right-click your taskbar, click properties. Next, click the "Start Menu" tab and click "Customize". Click "Advanced" tab in the pop-up and remove the tick for Recent Documents. Check this screenshot -> http://imagef1.net.nz/files/mostrecentdoclist.jpg if you are still confused as to what was I saying.

Cheers :)

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Dont think so.

You either untick the option so they dont show any docs, or just leave it.

If you're trying to hide them, whats the point in ticking the option in the first place?

You cant have the option ticked and hide them (which would be when u clear them), at the same time.

zqwerty
24-09-2006, 11:51 AM
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html

colmack
24-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks zqwerty, mru-blaster with settings checked for the Microsoft Office MRUs has done exactly what I wanted. :thumbs:

Paul.Cov
24-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Spybot Search and Destroy will also allow you to remove your MRU lists, albiet a fair bit slower than mru-blaster, but will also clean your system of other debris

Greven
25-09-2006, 12:07 AM
There is also a good program called Cleanup! - the default settings aren't right for most people, but they are quick & easy to change (by default, it searches your whole hard drive for temp files)

Edit: I have been using an old version. just got the new version & it doesn't scan the whole drive by default anymore.

Greg
25-09-2006, 02:25 AM
I don't want my list of 'Recent Documents' to show.
I've removed it from view from the Start Menu, no problem.

But then I open up Word, go to File>Open, and there's an option to open from 'My Recent Documents', and it's the list that I want to hide!Right-click on Start, then | Properties | Customize | Clear

Keep in mind that this a somewhat superficial method of clearing recent activity... it's effective, but not fool-proof.