PDA

View Full Version : Modem causes system freeze

J ZEP
23-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Hi guys, i have a system here that has major problems with anything relating to the modem (PCI), doesn't matter what i do, click properties, dial up, anything that relates to it will freeze the whole system, including when i try to install drivers - i managed to install the drivers off the cd in safe mode(as well as tried some updated ones too), but no difference, the minute i try anything related to it i get the system freeze... (Have to shutdown/restart it from switch).
I am starting to think it could be the pci slot perhaps???? The thing is, i don't think this modem has ever worked/been used (can't double check that as the lady in in the states for another month), as she mentioned she hadn't been able to connect using dialup, so i am guessing this is why, (shes using BB). It appears to be an Intel 536EP pci modem, i haven't looked in the case yet to confirm that, but the drivers install cd tells me it is.
This system, she tells me was custom built about a year back, i notice it has an emachine case, and also shows emachine under properites.
The other pci slot has a tvtuner in which the maual says is a "PV-Bt878P+".

System Specs are: MSI PM8M2-V mobo, P4 3.40GHZ, 512 mb ram, graphics appear to be VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP - 32mb, Modem Intel 536EP, TV Tuner card PV-Bt878P+, 150GB hdd. XP Home SP2.

Any ideas gratefully accepted please. I guess my next course of action will be to check the modem is seated in the pci slot correctly...and of course physically identify what model/make it is. One small thing i also noticed was that it was a tight fit with the modem/phone cord into this system (definatley the modem), so i tried a new cord i had from a new modem, which was slightly better, regardless, it freezes if it has the cord in or not anyway...

TIA :)

Speedy Gonzales
23-09-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm using the same modem here in 2 PC's.

Check in device manager. See if something is conflicting. Or if something has a ! or X beside it.

Have u scanned for spyware etc recently?

Or put it in another slot if theres a spare PCI slot in the case.

J ZEP
23-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Yep i have done all the normal things and theres definately no confilicts in d-manager... no spare pci slots, as the tv cards in the only other one, but i guess i will take that out later and try it in that slot, its about all i can think to do at this point.

I have found a few references to this kind of problem with linux in searching, but only a couple of windows systems, with no resoulution to the prob unfortunatley.

Cheers

tweak'e
23-09-2006, 09:16 PM
apart from trying new modem and different pci slot (you have installed motherboard drives ??) the other werid thing i've had thats caused a similar fault is faulty powersupply.

zqwerty
23-09-2006, 09:58 PM
DSE has a very good PCI modem for about $27.

drcspy
24-09-2006, 07:07 AM
try the suspect modem in a different puter and or try a different modem in the problem puter........

process of elimination.....simple really

J ZEP
24-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys, i will try changing slots and modems around over next few days, pretty much knew i would have to do that i guess, lol :).

J ZEP
25-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Firstly i tried reseating the card again, initially things went slightly better, i was able to dial up without freezing and actually connect, however that didn't last long - at best i was getting the connection dropped after a few mins, at worst the system freezes again. It seems like a driver issue, but i have tried every driver i can find for it.
Next, i put another modem in the slot (oldish one at that), that works perfectly :thumbs:, so at least i know its not the slot.
I haven't tried the modem in another pc as yet.

I'm using the same modem here in 2 PC's.

Speedy is there any chance you could please tell me what version drivers your using in your pc's successfully? Maybe you have a driver i haven't got?

Cheers :)

Speedy Gonzales
25-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Speedy is there any chance you could please tell me what version drivers your using in your pc's successfully? Maybe you have a driver i haven't got?

4.77.8.0 are the latest version of the drivers. Thats the version I'm using.

I cant find them on the site, but I've still got the unzipped drivers on the hdd here.

If u havent got this version, let me know, I'll zip them and email them to you, if u send me your email in a PM.

J ZEP
25-09-2006, 06:41 PM
4.77.8.0 are the latest version of the drivers. Thats the version I'm using.

Thanks Speedy, appreciate the offer :), unfortunately they are the second set i tried after the orig cd ones, as they were the latest ones i could find also...

I am about to bin this modem :D, i really don't think its ever worked from day one, as i recall her saying something to the effect of "dialup had never worked for her", i will ask her when she gets home, but as she uses BB it wouldnt have affected her at all.

:) Thanks anyway.

PENTIUM
25-09-2006, 06:48 PM
It is a pretty standard modem. Try using the software that came with it. Uninstall it first!.Windows will tell you if you are wrong.
I have struck occasional conflicts with your model and by substituting an Agere modem all comes right.

godfather
25-09-2006, 06:51 PM
The phone cord would not cause a freeze, as its totally "isolated" from even being seen by the CPU.

Being a PCI Winmodem, its about 95% certain to be a hardware issue. They make a satisfying "clunk" when they go in the rubbish bin though.

J ZEP
25-09-2006, 07:17 PM
It is a pretty standard modem. Try using the software that came with it. Uninstall it first!.Windows will tell you if you are wrong.
I have struck occasional conflicts with your model and by substituting an Agere modem all comes right.

Pentium, I am pretty much past the point of Uninstalling it and trying the software that came with it ;). Might try the Agere suggestion if its worked for you though, thanks.

Being a PCI Winmodem, its about 95% certain to be a hardware issue. They make a satisfying "clunk" when they go in the rubbish bin though.

GF, my thoughts exactly, i thinks its a piece of rubbish that deserves to be in the rubbish :D.

J ZEP
25-09-2006, 08:03 PM

Pentium, i think perhaps i misinterpretted your post? Did you mean you physically just replaced it with an Agere? Or you installed this modem as an Agere and it worked????