PDA

View Full Version : GPS & Excel

nw3
23-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Hello

I got the DSE XH6831 GPS USB receiver and would like to know if it's possible to get the GPS coordinates in Excel.

Anybody knows how or if possible?

Thanks.

Parry
24-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Possibly but would require a bit of work and is not something that is native in Excel. I presume there is some application installed or OS interface to the device. A Windows API call could be used to determine OS settings and variables or perhaps read the application involved. Not something I could help with though as its really 'trial and error' which will require me to have the device - which I dont. Good luck. :-)

wooda2
28-09-2006, 04:15 PM
You could try http://www.gps.org.nz/ and sign up. They have forums on different gps topics.

Graham L
28-09-2006, 06:51 PM
The GPS unit will provide a NMEA (plain ASCII text) packet every second or so to a serial port. (Even a USB connected one will probably use a pseudo COMx: port). It shouldn't be hard to have that appended to a file. Can Excel grab data from a file ? (In fact, if it can, it ought to be able to read the serial stream directly -- from "file" COMx:.).

Parry
28-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Hi Graham, yup Excel could read from a file. Not sure about reading a port as Ive never done this but not to say it isnt possible. The main issue may be about looking at the files all the time to keep the info updated. Theres an OnTime event which would enable you to loop continuously every xx secs if you used recursion (a procedure calling itself over and over) but would need to be built in such a way that the user could interrupt it as it may be a bit hungry on resources. :-)