PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron switching on by itself...

Johnnz
22-09-2006, 09:10 PM
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 which, if put in Hibernate mode at night will switch itself on at 4am exactly in the morning. I have checked the BIOS settings and auto- on is switched off (the default "on" time is 8:00am anyway). USB power on is off too. I run Windows XP MCE, and McAfee Antivirus.

Also, this laptop flashs white light from the whole screen once every 4 or 5 minutes for about 15 minutes immediatly after it is switched off at night. It is not full brightness, but enough to attract attention in a dark room.

it has been suggested to me to contact a priest, but perhaps there are some more down to earth explainations?...:illogical

Thanks,
-John.

beama
22-09-2006, 09:23 PM
search the forum for "wake on Lan" that may provide your answer

Jams
23-09-2006, 12:59 AM
probably an early sign to the damn thing catching fire. gotta love those dells.

Johnnz
24-09-2006, 01:11 PM
I read somewhere that this could be caused by Ripple Current through the power supply. I will check this out by hibernating tonight with power adaptor unplugged. Does anyone know if 4:00 am is a specific time for ripple currents to switch off hot water cylinders or night store heaters?

Failing that I haven't a clue what is causing this but will check out the Dell Forum (which in my experience is filled with hundreds of disgruntled Dell owners... shoulda read through a few threads before buying this dodgy Inspiron...)

Johnnz
06-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Turns out it must be a ripple current. When left charging the laptop will always switch on from hibernate at 4am, but when unplugged it doesnt.

At least my battery isnt one of those that need replacing...:rolleyes:

godfather
06-10-2006, 09:51 AM
While it's possible that there are some "repeat" ripple signals at 4 am (it's not a common control time though, but Delta would be able to confirm if there are any at that time) I would be surprised if they got through the power adapter.

All incoming power is converted to DC, then reconverted to high frequency AC by a switch-mode section of the power pack, then transformed and re-converted to DC.

Not much ripple signal could ever survive that process with all the smoothing capacitors along the way.

If the laptop is connected to broadband or dial-up, then some signals could get in by that manner, and activate a "wake on..." and when in "battery only" mode the LAN side is probably being put in power save mode, so its not sensing.

All just theory though.

tweak'e
06-10-2006, 10:10 AM
could well be that whens its on battery it turns off devices to save power. in particular the modem. check for wake on ring.

got a burglar alarm installed in the house?

Johnnz
08-10-2006, 10:49 AM
No, the laptop is not plugged into the phone modem or DSL modem either when it is in the bedroom. No burglar alarm either. The only external device is a PCTV usb tv tuner, which is off of course since the laptop is in hibernate mode.

Has anyone else ever noticed their LCD laptop screen emitting flashing light every couple of minutes after switching off in the dark? mine still doing that too...