PDA

View Full Version : Hello please help a newbie! Can't install win98!

frangipani
18-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Hello!
I am getting really frustrated and am just about to
beat up my computer. :badpc:
My brother formatted my computer then he ran
out of time to install win98 2nd ed.
He's gone back home 8hrs away.
I figured out how to do it but it hangs at:
copying files needed for windows setup

I don't know what to do.
Please someone help!
Thanks,
Frangipani : )

Agent_24
18-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Check the CD.. dirty or scratched??

Check the CD drive too maybe

frangipani
19-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Check the CD.. dirty or scratched??

Check the CD drive too maybe

No, I tried both drives, both went smoothly till I got to
"copying files needed for windows setup"
and then the drive just slows and stops after a minute.
I left it on last night just to be sure!

Is it possible to install XP? Or do I have to install 98 first.
Thanks,
Frangipani

Chilling_Silence
19-09-2006, 02:03 AM
Frangipani,
Try and copy the CD to your HDD first.

Then pull the disc out and run the setup from your HDD. You shouldnt have any need for the CD from there, so that eliminates all prospects of it being a bad disc (you never know....)
Once you've done that, we can proceed from there

Cheers

Chill.

pcuser42
19-09-2006, 08:51 AM
I did the above on a virtual computer, created two virtual hard drives and copied the CD over. It didn't have any missing drivers from the VHDD, but it did have missing drivers from the CD!

Agent_24
19-09-2006, 11:08 AM
No, I tried both drives, both went smoothly till I got to
"copying files needed for windows setup"
and then the drive just slows and stops after a minute.
I left it on last night just to be sure!

Is it possible to install XP? Or do I have to install 98 first.
Thanks,
Frangipani

You can install windows XP directly without having to install 98 first (and XP would be a better choice) as long as your computer can handle it. can you give some specifications of your computer?

frangipani
19-09-2006, 11:23 AM
You can install windows XP directly without having to install 98 first (and XP would be a better choice) as long as your computer can handle it. can you give some specifications of your computer?

Ok shes a Pentium lll 667mhz 128MB ram

Also how can I make a virtual copy on my hard drive when it
won't load windows?
Thanks Frangipani : )

frangipani
19-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Frangipani,
Try and copy the CD to your HDD first.

Then pull the disc out and run the setup from your HDD. You shouldnt have any need for the CD from there, so that eliminates all prospects of it being a bad disc (you never know....)
Once you've done that, we can proceed from there

Cheers

Chill.

Sorry for my ignorance but how would you do that?
I formated the HD.

Agent_24
19-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Ok shes a Pentium lll 667mhz 128MB ram

Also how can I make a virtual copy on my hard drive when it
won't load windows?
That will run windows XP ok, it won't be blazing fast but it will run.

You'd have to copy the win98 CD via DOS to the harddrive if you boot from a win98 startup floppy... or put the harddrive in another computer and do it from there.

XP would probably be easiest.

Paul.Cov
19-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Your problems might just come down to the BIOS preventing Windows Setup from writing to the boot sector of the hard disc.

Check your BIOS settings for Boot Sector protection being turned on. It needs to be OFF for the duration of setup - then it's best to turn it on again.

This is normally done by pressing the F8 key (repeatedly) during boot - before any sign of Windows being loaded. Go through the menus looking for anything referring to BOOT or VIRUS protection, and turn it off.

Agent_24
19-09-2006, 04:59 PM
It could be boot sector protection but the F8 key is highly unlikely to get you into the BIOS.

try the Delete key (most common) F2, F1, F10 or F12. if none of those work then you could try F8, but the F8 key is usually only for windows, when you want to get into Safe Mode or any other modes rather than booting windows normally.

frangipani
19-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Your problems might just come down to the BIOS preventing Windows Setup from writing to the boot sector of the hard disc.

Check your BIOS settings for Boot Sector protection being turned on. It needs to be OFF for the duration of setup - then it's best to turn it on again.

This is normally done by pressing the F8 key (repeatedly) during boot - before any sign of Windows being loaded. Go through the menus looking for anything referring to BOOT or VIRUS protection, and turn it off.

Thank you for your help,
I'll give it a go this evening, when the children are in bed.

frangipani
19-09-2006, 05:18 PM
It could be boot sector protection but the F8 key is highly unlikely to get you into the BIOS.

try the Delete key (most common) F2, F1, F10 or F12. if none of those work then you could try F8, but the F8 key is usually only for windows, when you want to get into Safe Mode or any other modes rather than booting windows normally.

Thank you also!
I will try and do as you say! A bit scary.

What I am wanting to do is run The Sims 2.
I am sick of my kids using my computor, and they can have my old girl.
I don't know if it will work on her still but I figured if
its only the bare bones plus the game and a few extra skins etc... she
might chug along.
Would 98 or xp be better?
thanks,

Agent_24
19-09-2006, 05:45 PM
XP is a better operating system, but you're not going to get the sims 2 running on that computer, no matter if you have 98 or XP.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
-------------------
* 800 MHz processor
* 256 MB RAM
* Windows(R) XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000 Operating System.
* At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
* A T&L-capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM. (if your video card is not T&L-capable, you will need at least a 2.0Ghz processor)

The original Sims should work though...

frangipani
19-09-2006, 09:17 PM

Hello.
I gave it a go and virus protection was disabled, so it wasn't that.
All I want to do now is put on windows and I'll be
very happy!!!
Thanks,

Agent_24
23-09-2006, 04:59 PM
So ... which version of windows are you going to try for?

Robin S_
24-09-2006, 01:17 PM
I tried to post this last night but good ole PF1 lost it when I hit Submit

You might like to try this - expanding on earlier posts. Assuming that you have access to the web via another cptr, go to bootdisc.com and create (following the instructions on the site) a boot disc for Win 98 or 98SE (you will need a blank floppy). Keep this disc for future use as it is a good tool for troubleshooting boot problems and a particularly good feature is that it contains generic drivers for enabling a CD-ROM. On your web cptr create a new folder Xxcopy and in it create another folder called Download. Then do a search on the net for xxcopy.exe and download into the above Download folder. The download xxcopy.exe is a self-extracting zip file - run it and extract the files into the Xxcopy folder. (Unfortunately, the download file and one of the extracted files both have the name xxcopy.exe, hence this extra palaver). Copy the extracted files onto the Win 98 boot disc. Now boot the "old" cptr from the boot disc and create the folder C:\Windowsfiles.
Then copy all the Windows setup files from your CD to this folder using the command a:\xxcopy D:\Win98\*.* C:\Windowsfiles. Finally, run the setup command from C:\Windowsfiles\Win98 and this should install Windows.

Note that you can substitute Windows XP in the above if you decide to go that way, and if your CD-ROM is not your D: drive then replace D: in the above command with your drive's letter. The big advantage of copying Windows setup files to your hard drive in this way is that if you later want to add new hardware or modify your system Windows "knows" to look on your HDD for the setup files instead of requiring you to dig out your CD.

Xxcopy copies all subdirectories and handles long filenames (which Windows Xcopy doesn't).

Robin S_
24-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Addendum! I have just discovered that the version of xcopy that comes with Win 98 does copy long filenames by default, so it is not necessary to go through the rigmarole of downloading and installing xxcopy. Note though that xcopy requires the use of the /S switch to make it copy subdirectories.

So having booted up from the floppy the command -

xcopy /S D:\win98\*.* C:\Windowsfiles\*.* should do the trick. Note that there is a space between /S and D: and also that I omitted the second *.* from the earlier post.

HTH

Agent_24
26-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Good idea, just don't try using xxxcopy.exe :lol: