PDA

View Full Version : Defrag

kjaada
18-09-2006, 07:32 AM
When my partner defrags her laptop with XP on it the result still shows a very wide solid red band over 5mm wide along with a few normal reds.Is there a problem that can be cured ? Don't know if it part of the same problem but
loading up to the desktop appears normal but the system tray 6 items take yonks.

Trev
18-09-2006, 10:22 AM
I had that problem on my PCs C drive. Everything took forever to load. I got around it by reinstalling windows after first formating my hard drive. I did try other defrag programs etc to fix the problem. I think the problem was caused by the hard drive becomeing to deframented ie not defraging it often enough.

Trevor :)

native
18-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Its Happening everywhere... my wife had the same defrag problem and 20 more people that i know.... Its not a virus or anything like it. Its just that microsoft has a few flaws that there not seeing because they are so tighed up into that freakin Vista, trying to fix its flaws..... And the only way to fix the problem is to just do a clean reinstalle, and thats the ONLY way....

kjaada
18-09-2006, 01:03 PM
PLLEEAASSE people,this is my partners puter and she does not have a writer to back up to disks.Is there not some way to get rid of the big fragmented area by shifting apps or something.Also the puter is about 3 years old and has been defraged often but the problem has only come up in the last 2 weeks following her previous defrag.

Trev
18-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Here is a couple of things you can do. Network her computer with another computer with sufficient HD space to take her files and transfer them across then format her HD and reinstall windows then put the files back or take HD out of her computer and put in another computer with sufficent HD space to put her files on then put HD back in her computer format HD and reinstall windows.

Trevor :)

kjaada
19-09-2006, 08:39 AM
This may be a coincidence but last night I deleted Yahoo toolbar and yahoo toolbar helper and on boot up this morning all is back to normal although a defrag still shows the wide red band.

PENTIUM
19-09-2006, 02:36 PM
In my experience, a couple of good registry cleaners will usually fix the problem with Windows XP systems.

kjaada
19-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Do u really believe we had not tried those things before posting ?

SolMiester
19-09-2006, 03:46 PM
To effectively defrag the drive, you need at least 30% free space, more is of course better. For optimin defrag, the swap drive/page file should be set to 0, pc rebooted to release system files for defrag. Once defrag reset the page file.

Point to note, screen savers and as many taskbar programs should be stopped before defrag.

kjaada
19-09-2006, 04:57 PM
No screensaver and 79% free space.As stated above the slowdown problem is solved but there is an unusual wide red band in the defrag result.Not now a problem but others appear to have had the same problem and resorted to a reinstall.

Graham L
19-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Why worry about it? It might be a product of the XP disk reorganising to "speed up" programme loading. Fragmnentation isn't all that terrible, anyway.