PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Plans etc

csinclair83
16-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Received my first bill today for homeline and broadband, $120.....argh!

Got me wondering, is tehre any sort of broadband plan I can go on that requires NO homeline? IE: Wireless but on PC....i've looked at xtra's but they're for laptops....

I'm deaf so absoulty dont need homeline, I've only got it so I can access broadband....and its a expense I wish I could be without...

Looked at telstra's homeline...$31 in cabled locations...47 in non cabled (Rotorua here)...or $26 if over 60 (wonder if I can pass for 60 yet haha i'm only 23)

**wishes I thought of something for dragons den about this...annette might have loved me**:lol: :lol:

stu161204
16-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Got me wondering, is tehre any sort of broadband plan I can go on that requires NO homeline?

Not at the moment, but once Local Loop Unbundling comes in to effect some ISP's (like orcon) will offer Naked DSL i.e.: Broadband with out homeline

Hope this helps :)

csinclair83
16-09-2006, 01:30 PM
thats gonna be 2-3 years away....

bring on naked dsl now!

Graham L
16-09-2006, 01:32 PM
And you will still be paying a rental on the wires. It costs money to provide and maintain wires.

The_End_Of_Reality
16-09-2006, 01:47 PM
If that was your first month then it SHOULD be the setup fee (without knowing the full details of the bill) that caused the high charge, what ISP/plan are you on?

pctek
16-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Got me wondering, is tehre any sort of broadband plan I can go on that requires NO homeline? IE: Wireless but on PC....i've looked at xtra's but they're for laptops....

Woosh.
And Xtras Wireless broadband is not just for laptops, but it does have a $1475 installation cost.
http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,8763,203317-202673,00.html

csinclair83
16-09-2006, 03:07 PM
it was $120 for Homeline and broadband...and $10 of that was for mobile texts before I reverted the mobile to prepaid....i was asking because I wanted to see if there was a way to save $50 on the homeline as theres no reason why I need it apart from for broadband....

And xtra wireless will never have me as a customer with taht sort of installation pricetag...

Woosh isnt available here in rotorua.....they said late 2006....still waiting...
guess i just gotta suck it up and get used to being ripped off....

Cant they use common sense and make a phone line plan for $20 a month...and any type of call off that line is $1 a call even if its to ur neigbour...only free calls are emergency and to the telecom line....i'd definately be one of the first customers on that!...

maccrazy
16-09-2006, 03:30 PM
And you will still be paying a rental on the wires. It costs money to provide and maintain wires.I really don't know the details of the whole unbundling concept, but expect this will be the case. It does cost money to keep the lines in good condition after all.

I personally think that New Zealand's broadband prices are very comparable to mainstream US and UK ISPs, it's just that they don't provide the same value in terms of speed and data caps. So, in terms of value they are very expensive, but in terms of the dollar value you pay (if you isolate what you are actually getting for each dollar) they are similar.

I admire how optimistic some people are about the effect unbundling will have on pricing, but it is my expectation that it may improve what you get for each dollar (in terms of data transfer and speed provided the network is actually receives proper investment) but won't have a huge effect on the average monthly fee most people pay. However, competition from alternative technologies such as WiMAX may push prices down and allow you to get rid of your landline if you don't want it. :)

ninja
16-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Drop your line rental to Homeline Economy which shaves $20 odd a month off the cost.

You haven't said where you live so wireless coverage is kinda limited by that.

stu161204
16-09-2006, 05:16 PM
You haven't said where you live so wireless coverage is kinda limited by that.

Woosh isnt available here in rotorua.....they said late 2006....still waiting...

;)

csinclair83
17-09-2006, 08:51 AM
there was a advertisment in yesterdays paper...speeds for telecoms broadband are going up to 7.4mb/sec.....full page ad saying that in first couple of lines then more ununderstandable crap...

homeline enconomy? i'll check out telecoms website.....

csinclair83
17-09-2006, 09:15 AM
realised you actually spoke about telstra clear's over 60s plan...

i'm 23...still 47 years away from qualifying....

The_End_Of_Reality
17-09-2006, 10:29 AM
speeds for telecoms broadband are going up to 7.4mb/sec..... Heh and some/a lot of people are getting below 2Mb or even 1Mb, I am ony getting 2Mb instead of the full 3.5, but there are others out there who are getting worse than me, so I am not complaining... But for them to do that and EVERYONE gets that speed, they will need to do a S%$T load of work on the hardware and network for it to be able to cope with the hugely larger load... and what about the caps? they will stay the same!!! I would rather have 2Mb 10Gb rather than 7.4Mb (or what even I would get) and still a 10Gb cap...

Well that is the end of my rant :xmouth: for now :p

Greg
17-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Heh and some/a lot of people are getting below 2Mb or even 1Mb, I am ony getting 2Mb instead of the full 3.5,Ditto. I kinda wonder if they actually upgraded my plan. Really should phone em sometime.

stu161204
17-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Heh and some/a lot of people are getting below 2Mb or even 1Mb, I am ony getting 2Mb instead of the full 3.5,

That all depends on the exchange your connect to ;), I for one on Good days get 3.5